Trip Report: faaabulous FEZ (or do you prefer FES?!)

Jul 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Trip Report: faaabulous FEZ (or do you prefer FES?!)

I haven't come to a conclusion on the Fez/Fes spelling choice. Anyone have strong opinions?

Here's my photo-narrative of a great visit in Morocco including some time in Tangier, a place I actually liked and can recommend. Unfortunately the guest house where I stayed in Fez has recently gone back to being a private residence. You might enjoy the pictures and story anyway and look for a similar accommodation as it was a real treat to stay in such a seemingly authentic place right 'in the heart of the medina.'

http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=248
Jul 17th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Off to Fes/Z on August 8th so great to read your report and see the pictures. Any particular advice for visiting this city?
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I think to stay in a guest house (riad) in the Medina is a special treat. Although I didn't find any particularly budget-minded places, it was worth it to be in the middle of it all.

And absolutely do the real-deal local no-English-here hammam (this is a bath house, nothing at all like a spa) and say yes to all the options. Unless you speak Arabic you'll have to get someone who knows the hours etc. to take you and get you set-up. Then just let them have their way with you. Wow, you'll be telling that story the rest of your life.
Jul 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for your link - great pictures, etc. I'm planning a trip for next spring & will make sure to try a hammam.

I also loved the site you referenced about packing light (sorry can't remember the name, onebag?) -- that site is genius, so much fabulous information!
Jul 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Leslie - I'm glad you wandered into the other links. That guy, I call him Mr Onebag at www.onebag.com has made a brilliant site. I check his one-page packing list every time I travel even if it is just for a weekend.
Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM

Thank you for sharing this.I'm off to Morocco soon and i'm excited to see this amazing places.
Jul 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Hi,
Can u tell me where u stayed in Tangier? I will be there August 7 09. How much did u pay? I am glad someone else finds Tangier magical. I was last there in 20th century...a looong time ago.
Jul 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sasiren, The name of the hotel is Hotel El Oumna Ouerto. I didn't pick it because it was great or a bargain (it was faaar more than I usually spend - like $80-90, something like that) but because of many ...extenuating circumstances! It's actually a travel adventure too long for this post but if you want to you can read about my onward journey from Fes back to Tangier and my 'extended' stay there: http://averysenioryearabroad.com/Chapter.aspx?id=249.
Jul 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM

thanks for sharing this .we had a great time as well when we were in morocco .