Trip Planning Help Needed

Sep 14th, 2001, 07:15 AM
caryn

Trip Planning Help Needed

We are trying to plan a trip to Africa and need a lot of help. Here are just a few of our questions but any other information you can provide will be much appreciated.
What is the best time of year to go?
Where should we go for optimal animal viewing but that is not terribly overwhelmed with tourists? Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Botswana
How should we do it -- go through an organized group (small, large?) or do it on our own and if we do it on our own, do you have any suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Sep 16th, 2001, 03:12 AM
J. Nooter

Caryn,

I recently booked a trip through a travel consulting company for a Safari, the results were excellent. If you only want personalized research and information, they do all that for free!!! I believe they are putting a web site up for their services, but if you are just interested in getting great advice, and all the information you could imagine, they will do all the contacting by email. Send them a request if you would like at [email protected] Otherwise, you can just use your basic search engines and do all the work yourself?!?! It is all out there, but will take a little time. Hope this helps you out. - Jaret

Sep 17th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Bert

In my opinion three of the five most impressive sights in sub-Saharan Africa are in southern Africa, namely Table Bay & Mountain in South Africa's Cape Town, the dunes at Sossusvlei in Namibia and Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. The fourth and fifth ones? Ngorongoro Crater and Mt. Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania.

As far as a wildlife destination is concerned, Northern Botswana is in a class of its own: In just 10 days there in late May & June 1998 on a fly-in safari we saw close on 50 lions - twice seen hunting - once for buffalo and the other time for kudu; leopard on three different occasions including one with the remains of an impala in a tree and another one with a youngster; African wild dog three times, once just seconds after they had taken down an impala; and cheetah twice, the latter sighting of a female knocking down and ‘delivering’ an impala to her five youngsters. This is not to mention the multiple other fantastic sightings including scores of elephants, magnificent Sable antelope, a martial eagle on a fresh impala kill, a ‘Giraffic Park’ scene at one of the camps with as many as 23 giraffe in one area, all staring at cheetah and some superb night drives (including my first ever sighting of Aardwolf).

My lasting impression of a September 1999 overland safari in Botswana will be the diversity of the trip: a tremendous variety of wildlife, birds, & scenery observed in an ever-changing landscape, and equally diverse activities: game drives, night drives, walking, boating, mokoro outings & an occasional moment or two to relax or to enjoy the superb food.

Regarding the type of trip, for a first visit you may want to consider joining a small-group safari (scheduled departure). These safaris, which range from luxury fly-in trips to more basic, 'participation' safaris, are for people who enjoy the camaraderie of traveling with a few other like-minded people and who appreciate the many advantages of having a professional guide on hand at all times. I highly recommend them for first-time visitors to Southern and East Africa. Sharing the experience often makes it much more rewarding & having a guide to identify mammals, birds, etc. can make all the difference. The cross-country safaris are also ideal for single travelers of either sex.

Please contact me direct for more answers to 'frequently asked questions' about selecting an African safari destination, best times to go, etc.

Bert
Houston

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:37 AM
John

Would you be interested in an experiential program in West Africa? No big game but village life where one can really get to know the culture. Only five people plus the leaders go on the trip. I would be happy to tell you more.

Search this Thread