Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Trip Photos - Mala Mala, Mombo and Kings Pool July 2005

Trip Photos - Mala Mala, Mombo and Kings Pool July 2005

Aug 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Trip Photos - Mala Mala, Mombo and Kings Pool July 2005

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=3734...=SYE/otsi=SALB

If you dont ahev a snapfish account, visit bugmenot.com (thanks Kavey)

Note these photos were taken to provide a record of our trip and while some thinning has been done, there are a lot of pictures. We make no apologies for so many pictures of wild dogs in less than ideal conditions.

Enjoy them.
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Enjoy them I did! You have some great photos. Love the leopard sleeping in a tree, the cheetah shots, the eles playing at MM as well as the hide shots at Kings Pool, the baby rhino, all the birds and on and on and on. Great job - thanks!
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Napamatt,

I loved your Kings Pool photos. That elephant hide, alone, seems like it would make it worth a visit.

Of course, I loved your wild dog photos, as well, even if this pack is not going to win any Wild Dog beauty pageants!

Just wondering...which camera and lenses do you use?

Thanks.

Aug 5th, 2005, 07:25 PM

By the way...how long are you allowed to stay in the elephant hide...I would want to be in there all but the time I was sleeping and the time I was on game drives. The only downside to it is that best hours for lighting will likely be in direct conflict of the game drive times.
Aug 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Extraordinary, fabulous photos -- thanks, napamatt.
Aug 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

I take no credit they are my wife's work.

Camera is the Digital Rebel, most shots with a Canon 100-400 lense. Anything more technical will require Elke's input.

We went to the hide after brunch and stayed for over 3 hours, you are quite right about the light being best while on a game drive. Next year when we are at Duma Tau, our plan is to visit the Savuti hide for an hour or so as part of the morning game drive, to get the best of both worlds hopefully.
But again the hide is a great experience because of its proximity to the animals.
Aug 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Only viewed the Mombo ones so far but wow you have some wonderful lion and leopard pics!!!!

Looking fwd to going though the others soon!
Aug 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Matt,

Do you think Kings Pool would be an appropriate grande finale (after Mombo)? Or, do you think that Mombo should definitely be saved for last?

In the event that I visited Mombo, I may just elect to visit Kings Pool and Duba Plains, as well.

Something like this:

Westcliff (2)
Luangwa River Lodge (4)
Matetsi Water Lodge (3)
Duba Plains (3)
Mombo (3)
Kings Pool (3)
Westcliff (1.5)

I wish there was more information out there on Kwando.

Given my love of elephants and wild dogs, and my wife's preference for luxury accomodations, Kings Pool may be more appropriate than Lebala. While Lebala definitely will not fall short in the wild dogs, elephants and possibly even luxury, it does not feature the incredible elephant hide.

I may go with Lebala, Kwara Island and Mombo, but until I see more information on Kwara Island, I am unable to commit to a visit.

The main reason not to end with Mombo is the lack of night game drives. It seems like it would be better to sandwich it between places that do offer night game drives, but not if anywhere else will be a disappointment after Mombo.
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM

hey rocco,
i think its fine to stay at kings pool after mombo. the main thing for me is i like to end with mombo mainly bc the accomodations are so nice. its hard to go from 6 paw to 5 paw, but as kings pool has as nice accomodations, i dont see any problem ending there. the game is a little less, but it wouldnt hurt the experience at all. by the way i have finalized my aug/sept trip for next yr. i'll be at duba and mombo so maybe i'll see you there.
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM

bigcountry,

What dates will you be there? Perhaps my desired dates will be close enough where I could move them around a little.

For a WS itinerary, my plan would be to start with Duba Plains (I will be coming over from Matetsi Water Lodge), move on to Mombo and finish with Kings Pool (which will get me back as close as possible to Victoria Falls).
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM

hey rocco,
we start at duba plains aug 29 and 30 and then on to chitabe and then duma tau and finish at little mombo on the 5, 6 and 7th of sept. so maybe we could overlap at 1 of the 2 camps. hopefully even get a car to ourselves. wouldnt that be awesome.
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM

bigcountry,

I would be willing to split the cost of a private vehicle. I doubt it would be more than about $100 per day if split, since we are already occupying most of the vehicle.

Here is my itinerary, for now:

8/19-20 - Westcliff
8/21-24 - Luangwa River Lodge
8/25-28 - Matetsi Water Lodge (I will stay a fourth night if it is free, as it is this year)
8/29-31 - Duba Plains
9/01-03 - Little Mombo
9/04-06 - Kings Pool

I could switch around Kings Pool with Little Mombo and that would give us a total of four nights at the same camps. That would be really cool.

I better have my people get right on this.

As always, I will figure out how to pay for it later!

Duma Tau is always a possibility but I think I am much more likely to choose Kings Pool or even Savuti, because I am a sucker for a good animal hide.
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Rocco

I say you could definitely do KP after Mombo. The accomodations are nicer at KP, plus you would get the hide and the night drives and more elephants.
If Lebala is like Lagoon then it is not at all luxurious, the Kwando tent doors are zip up, rather than proper doors like at Savuti. I would rate Lagoon as 5- on the WS scale at best.
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Matt,

Thanks.

Here is the plan...I will trick my wife into loving Botswana with Kings Pool and Mombo, and then on a return visit a year or two later, after softening her up, I will book Kwando!
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
bwanamitch

Rocco,
nice plan! HAHAHA!
I'm already curious how your itinerary will evolve...

Aug 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Mitch, most of us have learned that when Rocco posts his "final" itinerary for any trip that there's quite a lot of evolving still to go yet!

Rocco, I'd like to put forward an idea that may turn your itinerary on it's head - and that's to do Mombo first or early on during the trip. Although it means a step down in accommodation somewhere along the line (although not if you go to King's Pool or another 6 paw camp) what it means is that you (hopefully) get such excellent game viewing right at the start of the trip that you're really able to relax even more for the rest of the trip and enjoy whatever you come across, big or small.
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Kavey

Wise words. Colin Bell of WS advocates the same approach.

Rocco - ever thought about sandwiching a Kwando between 2 6 Paws like Mombo, KP or Vumbura?

As an aside - Mombo now has probably the poorest accomodations of the 6 paw camps - though obviously everything is relative.
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:13 PM
bwanamitch

So it's time for an upgrade, isn't it. Maybe the first '7 paws' camp?

From all what I've heard the new Kwara Island Camp is Kwando's entry into the '6 paws' segment. Poor Rocco...

Aug 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM

There are just too many places I want to visit but I don't have the budget for more than 9 nights in Botswana.

There are quite a few combinations I may come up with. I believe Lebala will prove nicer than Lagoon, but there is no hide, so the edge would still go to Kings Pool or even Savuti. I would, however, choose Lebala over Duma Tau.

Duba Plains just seems to come very highly recommended by everyone I speak to who has previously visited.

If Kwara Island is reasonably priced, I may just elect to stay there instead of Mombo. I love night game drives and would at least like to experience one Kwando camp. However, the undeniable pull of Mombo is ever present!
Aug 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Lin

Rocco: I say, go for 4 camps in Botswana during your 9 night stay. This is my reasoning: Thankfully, transfers are sooo easy and efficient in the delta area, also relatively short, most camps have a nearby airstrip - so you should always be able to contain your transfer to the siesta hours. Two nights in camp gives you four game drives plus some afternoon activities if you have a private car (hiring a private car gives you the guide for the entire day). So you truly can get a good feel for a camp during a 2 night stay. That way you don't have to eliminate the Kwando camp! I'm jealous you are planning your '06 trip before you even begin your '05 trip!

Search this Thread