Trip Intinerary - Any thoughts?

Jan 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Trip Intinerary - Any thoughts?

Hey all!

We're planning a trip for 4 of us to Botswana in early June. The planned itinerary is as follows:

2 nights River Club, Zambia
3 nights Duma Tau Tented Camp, Savute/Linyanti
2 nights Chitabe Main Camp, Okavango Delta
2 nights Vumbura Camp, Okavango Delta
and possible (cash permitting) extensions to:
2 nights Mombo Camp, Okavango Delta
2 nights Jack's Camp, Kalahari

I guess some of my concerns are that we have too much overlap in the Oakvango delta area because I don't know how diverse this region is. Would the wildlife viewing at different camps in this region be unique enough to warrant the jumping around?

I'm also a little sticker-shocked by the cost of both Mombo and Jack's but these are supposed to be amazing places, and I doubt we'll be back in Botswana for awhile until our back accounts recover!

Any thoughts from those of you that have been there before or who have some knowledge of the area?

Thanks! We're psyched for this trip!!

-Rich
Jan 11th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Rich: Those are fantastic choices -- each one should be an outstanding camp. There is actually a lot of variety in the habitats and wildlife viewing between all of those camps except that Mombo and Chitabe are fairly similar, although Mombo is much more luxurious. Obviously it would be great to go to all of them but I would choose between Chitabe and Mombo if you need to make a choice. If necessary for the budget I think going to Chitabe and Jacks would be a much better rounded experience than Mombo and missing on Jacks.

Also, others who have traveled at that time of year can help with accuracy but I think the bush may be pretty thick in the Linyanti making viewing more difficult. By no means would I ever skip that area but you may want to make it 2 nights at Duma Tau and add a 3rd to Vumbura or Chitabe.
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Hello Rich,
You may want to check out this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34526934

James from Eyes on Africa was very helpful in explaining the misconceptions I had about the Linyanti area in May and June.
Have you checked into Chiefs Camp as a lower cost alternative to Mombo ?
We are traveling in Mid may to some of the same camps you mentioned and are also quite psyched for this trip.
As a matter of fact, tonight my husband was gleeful chanting ( after only one glass of wine).."we're going to africa, we're going to africa.

All the best,
Brenda

Search this Thread