Search

Wiring Funds to Africa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring Funds to Africa

Has anyone had any problems wiring funds to Africa? When we wired the down payment, they received it immediately, same day.
So we sent the final payment the same way, Roy Safaris said it would be fine and that others have done it, etc. Well, we sent it Monday. For some reason it didn't go out until Tuesday and they still have not received it. We have a confirmation from the Fed that they sent it but nothing else. Roy Safaris said as late as this morning that they still had not received it in their account.
I've sent follow up emails to Barclay's Bank in Dar and since it was Friday, haven't heard yet. We only have Monday to resolve this and of course their day is over when we arise. Anyone experience anything like this? If so what did you do? Thanks. Liz
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Hi Liz

With family & friends all over Africa I do this quite often. Average to East Africa is about 3 business days. It has taken as long as 4 weeks (seriously) when something was mistyped in the wire, and/or there were more than one routing bank involved.

In your case, Barclays is well-known institution so it is unusual to take more than 4 days especially since the first wire was so quick. You should ask your bank to initiate a "trace". But it's too late for this weekend!

My feeling is that the money will be there by the time the trace results come in!

BTW, my 2-3 day wires cost $15 each regardless of amount sent. If you are paying more, there may be some routing involved (normally via Europe) that can add to the delay.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Has anyone got experience with a particular company and what they charge to wire funds? I will have to do this later this month and my bank did not even know if they could wire Zambia or any idea of what it would cost which concerns me. I have never done this before and am a little concerned about it.

Thanks
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, thank you. Our bank charges $35 and they said there was no other bank involved. The Fed picks it up by wire and the rest is automatic. Really has us worried because of the speed last time. I checked all the routing numbers, etc and everything was the same as before.
Do appreciate your assurance though. We tried to put a trace on Friday and the bank said something like they don't do it. I live in a smaller town and those things are more rare here I think. Its a large bank in this state though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed we'll hear something on Monday. Otherwise we really won't know what to do. We'll be back before 4 weeks time and don't know what they'll do. I don't think you can call back a wire can you? Liz
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

mpkp-
As others have posted here each bank it is routed through takes a small fee. One fellow ended up with two charges added. It isn't a big deal. Each time we have done it we just went to the bank where the funds were and they filled out the forms and did it. Liz
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Yip. I guess it's all a matter of relationships (between banks). After many years of frustration, I have finally settled on Wells Fargo as the bank of choice when dealing with Barclays in Africa.

My regional bank uses Wells Fargo for the wires and the $15 per transaction with 2-3 days turnaround is pretty good considering the problems I had with Citibank and others.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I think it sounds good to me too. That is the cheapest fee I've heard of. I'm hoping by Sunday night we'll hear something. I figure they are 9 hours ahead of us, right? So I figure they'll be coming to work about 8am, or 11pm here, right? Thanks Liz
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:47 AM
sandi

Liz - if you have all the confirmation information that your wire, was indeed, sent when it was, just email Roys today, with said information and you should be ok. Roy's will be on the lookout for your funds and/or follow-up on their end. And you still have Monday to recheck with your bank. I'm sure it'll be there by then - and when you do get confirmation, again send email to Roys to that effect.

As far as what to do on your end... finish your packing, get on the plane and have a great trip.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi, you are always there when I'm in need.
We did fax the confirmation on the 2nd and then didn't hear from anyone again. I've sent so many emails and even looked up Barclay's Bank on the internet and sent them an email on Friday. No word. Then yesterday I went back to the old emails from the deposit transfers and found some new emails from the Barclay's Bank and from a different source for Roys Safaris and emailed them. Ah, at last...........
This morning I have an email from the accounts department that they will follow up on Monday and let us know. I'm sure no one else over there is concerned about it and it does take 3-4 days normally they said. We just had a fluke the first time and everything just clicked and it all happeded so easy in one day.
Why they wouldn't have sent a simple email and let us know they got the fax or were at least aware of our plight made me worry more.
I'm calmed down now and we will just have to leave on Tues. based on trust and I told Max that when we get off the plane in Nairobi, to just pray there is someone with a small board with our names on it. If not, hey, we've got two weeks before our return flight and will I ever have an unusual trip report to tell you all. Its just that we won't be travelling with the funds on us now but we will have a credit card and someone over there will give us a safari and charge it. Somewhere...............
Liz
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 05:05 AM
sandi

Liz - Glad to help and ease your mind. And remember - It's Africa! Unlike here at home, in most other places "things happen as they happen"... akuna matata! No Problem. Though one would wonder why Barclay's regardless the branch wouldn't be more efficient. But that's not your concern now. You've done what you were supposed to do. It's now in their hands. And I'm sure there will be someone to meet you at NBO airport and you'll have a wonderful visit.