Meal Prices in Nairobi and Tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this kind of vague question frustrates Fodorites but I'm trying to get a vague idea of what my meal costs will be during my September trip to Nairobi, Arusha, Stone Town and Nungwi. I anticipate experiencing a variety of different eating opportunities: local food stalls, hoteli, hotel restaurants, etc. I anticipate having the odd beer and/or glass of wine with dinner, too. Can anyone with recent experience give me an idea of how many shillings your meals cost, approximately?

Thank you...
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear Val,

We didn't eat out a lot but...here is my also vague recollection of things... from about one week ago.

In Arusha and Moshi Tanzania for around 36 dollars equivalent you could get a good meal with glass of wine, beer or soda for 4 people. Coke is 500 to 1000 shillings... to give an idea. A full breakfast at a coffee shop with eggs, bread, coffee was maybe 2000 shillings. A friend and I had a large bottle of beer and 3 glasses of wine at a nice bar for 20,000 shillings or 15 USD. Sandwiches for two with cokes was 15,000 shillings.

At a really fancy restaurant in Arusha we had appetizers through to desert with a glass of wine for 2 for the equivalent of 42 USD. Entrees were 4000 to 9000 shillings.

Let's just say it's real cheap.

gruezi
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM

The Monsoon Restaurant in Stone Town next to Forodhani Gardens is my favorite. They usually have a 3-course special of Swahili fare for about $10 or a bit more. Forodhani has been refurbished and is now open. They have organized the food vendors a bit better and taught them how to handle the food safely (supposedly!) My experience in Nairobi is that nothing is very cheap. Of course, we were eating in "tourist" restaurants.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM

To Gruezi and ShayTay
Based on the drought right now which incorporates a lot of poaching and therefore even more use of "bushmeat" isn't it risky to eat at foodstalls or restaurants where the locals eat?

Just a thought.......

SV
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I don't you'll find "bushmeat" in Zanzibar. Here is an article about the refurbished park: http://allafrica.com/stories/200908101434.html Personally, I don't eat in the park, as good as everything smells. I'll stick with the Monsoon, the Serena, etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Great information, friends! Thank you. Feel free to recommend your favourite dining experiences - I'm anxious to try lots of local fare.

Val.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM

For Nairobi - I am one of those odd-toruisty types who is a true-blue Carnivore lover (have gone there 3 times - I love it!) but my next favorite is the pizza at the Norfolk Hotel. MMMMM.

In Arusha, we have only eaten at the New Arusha Hotel - the lunch buffet was all Indian and African food, we enjoyed it. The naan bread, fresh made was incredible.

Haven't been to Nungwi, so that's easy...

In Stonetown we have always wanted o try Mercury Pizza, but never have. We have eaten mostly at the Serena Inn - food there is excellent. BUT - my best recommendation for Stonetown is absolutely pre-book for the dinner at 236 Hurumzi, what an incredible experience! I believe the cost was $30.00 USD per person, and well worth it. With drinks, 4 of us spent $170 USD, so I think 30 USD pp would be correct for just the dinner. It is an excellent view - a great atmosphere, and the meal is wonderful. Even getting there by pedi-cab was a wonderful experience!
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM

spass,

We didn't eat at any food stands except the one in front of the Kindoroka Hotel that is famous for it's "pizza"... Everyone I met was eating there and no one was getting sick so I tried it and it was amazing.

We loved a place in Arusha called Indo-Italiano. 2 menus - one for Indian cuisine and one for Italian and a very clean and western toilet.

We never were sick once in 3 weeks with the exception of a terrible cold I'm still shaking. Ironically, I had lots of medicine for stomach ailments and nothing for a cold!

gruezi
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Hello Val, found you on this thread as well.
We found this fabulous Indian resteraunt in Stone town, near the ferry that goes to Dar. It is called the Silk ROute resteraunt. Up the stairs with a great view of the harbour. The decor is wonderful, the staff dressed in gorgeous indian outfits. We met the owner who is actually from Toronto.
We went twice and had an awesome meal each time. i dont remember the price but dont remember it being expensive.

The only time we got sick, Well my husband got sick, was in Stonetown. I was a vegetarian the entire trip, as was he for most of it, but we did a spice tour on Zanzibar. Although I highly recommend it, at the end was a lunch of dishes with spiced sauces over them. The food prep did not look that great and it was a kingfish, so I did not eat anything. He was violently sick for three days and had to take the ciprol that we brought to feel well enough to travel home.
Other than that we had no issues at all with food.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I'm not likely to try and go vegetarian but I'm thankful for the caution - not a bad reminder to pay attention to how food's prepared and whatnot - I tend to be too cavalier and luckily I haven't ever had a bad experience - I must have an iron stomach. I will have my trusty bottle of cipro pills handy just in case.

Strangely, gruezi, I'm the opposite of you and always carry cold medicine and rarely anything for my stomach!). I've only ever had one illness while traveling and that was a head cold in the Dominican Republic and I thought my head was going to explode - the only medicine I could find to buy was Tylenol for Colds and I swear it must've been past it's effective date or soemthing because it didn't do a thing. A good lesson learned: travel with cold medicine that works on you.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Dear Val,

I'm not a vegetarian (low blood sugar and anemia so I need my protein) but I found most meat dishes in Tanzania really sparse on the meat part. I ate a lot of avocado and rice and things of that sort and prayed for eggs every morning which we got usually every other day. I did lose a little weight, but that was a good thing and overall I enjoyed a lot of the food.

Have a great trip and bring your little medicine cabinet just in case.

Remember, peel it, boil it, cook it, or LEAVE it...

gruezi