Treetop Canopy tours

Mar 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Treetop Canopy tours

I was wondering if anyone (Selwyn?) has any experience with the Tsitsikamma Canopy Tour. I saw pictures of this on Selwyn's web site.
I posted my itinerary awhile ago so you might be aware of how long we have and where we'll be. I was wondering how long it would take us to drive there from Knysna.
What do people think of it? It sounds like a great experience to me...but any thoughts?
Thanks again to all
Alison
Mar 18th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Hi Alison,

The Treetop Canopy Tour is a wonderful amazing experience. I also want to add that seeing that you are travelling with your family it also is one of those experiences that the whole family can enjoy. The adventure takes place at the Stormsriver Adventure Centre which is situated near to the Storms River which is about a 60 minute drive from Knysna. The experience takes about 3 hours so my suggestion is that you leave Knysna early ( 07h00 - 08h00 ) and book yourself onto one of the early runs. IT IS ADVISABLE TO PRE BOOK. When you arrive at the adventure centre you will be allocated two treetop tour guides. The first is your educational guide and the second is your safety guide. The safety factor on the adventure is impeccable. You simply cannot fall while on the slides between tree and tree. Your guides will take you and the other members of your group (maximum 8 people) through a briefing session and thereafter you will be taken to the launch board for the first slide and away you go. There are 8 slides on the adventure ranging from 30 metres - 120 metres in length and sometimes up to 30 metres in height . On some of the slides you can expect to attain speeds of 25 kph. Along the way you will have fun sliding from tree to tree and will also go through an educational experience with your travel guide continuously telling you about all the wonderful trees and nature around you. You feel like Tarzan and Jane as you go though the experience. After the last slide you will have to walk out of the valley before you are taken back to the adventure center where you will have a light lunch before you move on.

Overall the experience is a fantastic one and I recommend it highly. I have had many visitors travel with me who have all done the slide (ages ranging from 14 - 74 - The event is for all) ). I have been told that there is only one similar experience in the rest of the world and this is in Costa Rica so it is quite a unique event. I think the latest cost for the ride that I recall was R450/person. You can pay your fees by credit card and can pre book by phone or per the web.

If you are returning to Knysna after the treetop tour then I suggest that you travel to the Bloukrans Bridge so as to see the bungy jumpers do the highest bungi jump in the world (216 Metres) as well as enjoy the engineering experience of seeing the incredible Bloukrans Bridge.

The Bloukrans Bridge is about 290 km from the Stormsriver adventure centre. This might seem crazy but I would then recommend that after seeing the Bloukrans Bridge you return back to the Stormsriver, however before you get to the Stormsriver (about 10 Km from the Bloukrans Bridge you turn back to Knysna by turning at the Coldstream turnoff. You then will travel through the Bloukrans Valley as well as Natures Valley which is an amazing forest experience. The "detour" will add about 15 km to your journey and you will you will miss the N2 toll road running parallel to your forest journey and all I can say is that it is DEFINITELY worth the ride. You will eventually come out on the N2 and can then travel back to Plettenberg Bay and eventually Knysna.

All in all this whole experience makes for a fabulous day of travelling and in my opinion is a must do event on the Garden Route.

Hope this all helps to make your family experience a much better one.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Mar 19th, 2004, 12:26 AM

Alison
I also looked up this company after reading a post by Selwyn a few months ago (an old one that came up in a search, I think).
I'm sort of scared of heights BUT I still think I'd enjoy the experience. I love the London Eye and I even abseiled down a cliff for charity once though I was screaming all the way.
But I think I'd be OK on this one and it looks wonderful doesn't it?
Mar 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Selwyn. The whole family is looking forward to it, even those of us who are afraid of heights like Kavey. Thanks for the directions they look simple enough and, as you say, worth the ride. Any idea what time their first slide is? It would be nice to be the first for the day then we can have the full day to look around the area and follow your return route.
Also should we book now or wait till we get to Knysna?
Just as an aside, I find the photo gallery on your site really interesting. I got the idea for this activity when I looked at some of your previous groups.
Alison
Mar 19th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kavey!
I noticed you mentioned the London Eye in your reply. We have about 13 hrs between flights in London. I was thinking on taking the tube into town and doing the Eye. What do you think? Madness? Worth it?
Mar 19th, 2004, 10:18 AM

With 13 hours you definitely have time to do some sightseeing in London...

I love the London Eye... it's a fun experience, though only 25 minutes or so.

I don't know whether you'll love it too or think it's a bit of a let down - we're not talking theme park ride of the year here, we're talking modern take on age-old fairground attraction.

But I do like it.

I'd post on Fodors Europe for some input on those 13 hours.

Work out how much time you actually have once you've taken out time to exit immigration, collect luggage, put it in a locker and get train to London plus travelling back to airport in time for requisite security checks and check in.
Mar 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I am a UK citizen as are my kids so immigration won't be an issue. Customs on the other may be a pain. I want to see if I can transfer my bags to SA Airlines before we leave the airport. We don't have a straight through ticket. I bought in separate segments to take advantage of seat sales. So I am iffy on how much time that will take.
I haven't been to london in about 5 years. How early should I get back to the airport for a 9:30 flight?
I still think the London Eye sounds fun. It looks so incredible. 25 minutes isn't long but that's okay by me. I don't want to go too wild as we will be dealing with jet lag and facing a second round of it when we take off for SA. Then of course the following day there is an 8:30 am pick-up! Dawn of the Dead..here we come!

Mar 19th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Alison
I think for a 9.30 flight you'd want to aim to be there a MINIMUM of 2 hours beforehand, ideally more incase of unusually long check in or security queues.
I didn't realise you were a Brit abroad!
Mar 19th, 2004, 08:40 PM

Alison,

I have just checked with Treetop Safaris and they tell me that their first canopy tour is at 08h00 and then there is a tour every 45 minutes. I agree that you should do the tour early in the morning so as to save time for other events in the day.

In terms of booking I would book in advance only because it will be important for Treetop Safari managemnt to know that they have to have guides or the first slide in the morning as few seem to do this slide and there just might not be guides available if you book a day in advance from Knysna.

Hope this helps.

Mar 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM

We did the canopy tour in Costa Rica. We cabled across the trees, water, etc. We started out with small distances, and by the end it felt like we were soaring across the rainforest. We took in our family a group including 16, 14, 12, year olds, plus a 4 year old (who was strapped to the guide). It was an adventure. If you have a fear of heights (as I do) go first! The less time you have to think about it the better. It was a great experience. I have done it again in Mexico.
Mar 21st, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cronen. It sounds like you had a great time. Thanks also for the advice on going first. I will do that for sure. I almost prefer the 4 year old's arrangement. Strapped to the guide with my eyes closed but I don't think they would go for it.
Good thinking Selwyn. I will book a few days before (maybe even from here)for the 8:00 slide. First out when the forest is quiet seems kind of magical to me. Thanks so much for contacting them for me. That was really nice of you.
Also thanks to you Kavey. We aimed to be back at the ariport for 6;30 so that will give us 3 hours to navigate the check points. Yep I am a Brit abroad. Born in Glasgow. Lost my accent though. It only comes back when too much wine is involved.
Mar 21st, 2004, 07:25 AM

LOL... well I'll see if I can hear any traces when we meet.
Mar 21st, 2004, 07:29 AM

Selwyn
Given that we're not staying overnight right near the Treetop tour location but in Knysna town can I ask your advice on how long it might take to drive from our B&B in Knysna?
If we left our B&B at around 8 what time might be realistically arrive and what time tour might be available?
We could take the tour on the 19th or 20th May (and return to Knysna those nights) or on the 21st en route from Knysna to Addo.
Thanks
Kavey
Mar 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM

You know I'm taking copius notes -- thinking about when we go back to the Cape after our safari in Botswana...now I'm thinking about driving to Knysna for 2 nights and doing this one morning, before doing the last 2 nights in the Winelands before we leave....
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

Kavey,

If you left Knysna at 08h00 you should give yourself 75 minutes (to play very safe) to do the journey. Thus if I were you I would then book myself onto the 09h30 ride in this case. I however would rather suggest that you leave Knysna at 08h00 on the day that you travel to Addo. Explore the terrain as you travel down to the Stormsriver by stopping in at Plettenberg Bay as well as travelling through the Bloukrans and Natures Valleys. I would try to be at Treetops at about 12h00 and then do the canopy tour. This would take you through till about 14h00. From Stormsriver you would be about 3 > 3.5 hours away from Addo so you should arrive timeously for dinner that evening.

Uhoh Blasted.

Forget about trying to drive down to the Canopy Tour in a 2 day ride. It will place enormous pressures on you to try and complete the 600KM journey from Cape Town to the Stormsriver on a there and back basis and still do the canopy tour. Bad idea - Dont do it. To do justice to this journey you will need at least 4 days as there is soooo much to see along the way besides the canopy tour itself.

Hope this all helps

Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:11 PM

Thanks Selwyn
Do you know what time they close the gates into Addo during May and also what time it gets dark?
THANKS
Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:10 PM

Kavey,

The gates to Addo close at 17h00. Sunset times in May are 18h00 at the beginning of May and 17h45 by the end of May.

Hope this helps.

Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:18 AM

It does, thanks Selwyn!
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Thanks Selwyn -- I was wondering if trying to make it all the way to Knysna was too much. That just leaves something for another trip one day.
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi all
Just got back to town so I just read the messages posted from Uhoh et al. I am seriously considering doing what Selwyn suggested and including the tour in our journey to Addo. We will try to go for an earlier slide as I am worried about making it to Addo before the gates close at 5:00. I'll talk it over with Tout La Gang tonight and decide what we want to do. So many options and so little time!!! gt;

Search this Thread