Travelling with iPad in South Africa

Jan 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Travelling with iPad in South Africa

We will be travelling through South Africa as well as Botswana in March. We plan to travel with our iPad so we can keep in touch with business back home. We start our trip in Johannesburg. Can anybody suggest if there is a location at the airport in Johannesburg where we can purchase a pre-paid SIM card? I've also heard that only a SA resident can purchase a SIM card? Can anybody confirm this? Thanks.
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:01 AM

I (US citizen) have bought sim cards at the airport on our last two visits to South Africa, in 2010 and 2008. There are several shops in the airport where you can do this -- Vodaphone, MTN, and maybe others. I don't remember where exactly in the airport they are, but they're in the arrivals hall. They come with a certain amount of time on them, and you can buy more time at shops throughout the country.

Celia
Feb 7th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Celia for the information. I appreciate it.
Feb 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM

You'll probably find wireless connections in most places, as well, which wouldn't require the sim card. My niece found an app for her iTouch that allowed her to make phone calls via wireless connections while we were in Europe. You might look for that for your iPad.

Search this Thread