Search

Johann & Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 1999, 08:44 AM
Lincoln

Johann & Cape Town

I will be going to South Africa in August. I am planning to fly to Johanesburg and travel to Cape Town. What type of transportation should I take from Johanesburg to Cape Town? And what should I do in the two cities?

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:12 AM
Gemma

About three years ago I did the journey from Joburg to Cape Town by train - it is a slow journey - around 18 hours I seem to remember, but you get a sleeper carriage then just look out of the windows and see the whole vista of South Africa roll by, it's a brilliant introduction to the country...the views coming down into Cape Town in the early morning are amazing. Two words of warning though - this was three years ago so check the trains are still safe; and get a taxi direct from the airport in Joburg to the station as the station area is dangerous for muggings etc.

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:12 AM
Gemma

About three years ago I did the journey from Joburg to Cape Town by train - it is a slow journey - around 18 hours I seem to remember, but you get a sleeper carriage then just look out of the windows and see the whole vista of South Africa roll by, it's a brilliant introduction to the country...the views coming down into Cape Town in the early morning are amazing. Two words of warning though - this was three years ago so check the trains are still safe; and get a taxi direct from the airport in Joburg to the station as the station area is dangerous for muggings etc.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 11:54 AM
Roger Vineall

I'd fly from Jo'burg to Cape Town - only 2 hours. Unless you have a lot of money to spend and wish to take the luxurious Blue Train (www.bluetrain.co.za). <BR> <BR>In Cape Town you can visit winelands, beaches (though August is mid-winter), the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, Table Mountain, and many others. I think there's a lot to do - get a guide book or two and see what interests you. There's some fair shopping and also places of historical interest. <BR> <BR>In Johannesburg, try Gold Reef City - I think they still have something where you can go down a mine shaft. You'll probably find more places of historical interest than outright entertainment - again it really depends on what your interests are. <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:27 PM
Pat

The best thing in Johannesburg, if you are there on a Sunday, is the market on the roof of the Rosebank mall (in Rosebank, a suburb of Joberg) It is great -- every imaginable craft and shopping. Well worth the trip. <BR> <BR>Pat