Travelling West Africa

Feb 26th, 1997, 06:30 AM
Andrew

Travelling West Africa

I spent nearly six months in West Africa in 1994. My wife and I were driving our own Land Rover, though, so our story may not be of much use to you. We traveled through Mauritania, Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, and Cameroon, before heading across central Africa to Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania. I must say that West Africa remains one of the most memorable parts of our trip. Tourism is minimal, and it's very easy to slip into the local cultures. For that reason alone, I would think twice about taking an overland truck. From our experience with them, the passengers tend to stick together, seldom venturing out alone to meet people along the way. Second, the trucks tend to keep a fast pace, preventing you from kicking back for a few days in a spot that YOU like. Third, the configuration of the trucks means that you spend much of your day looking across at your fellow passengers, with the landscape visible only out the back of the truck or through grimy plastic windows. Having said that, overland trucks do get you to areas that you would have difficulty reaching without your own vehicle. Reliable operators include Dragoman and Gamuka. If you want to head out on your own, you certainly can. You will be reliant on local buses, which are overcrowded, unreliable, and often dangerously driven, but you are guaranteed far more interaction and experiences with the people of West Africa. Good luck.

Apr 13th, 1997, 06:27 AM
Alan Reynolds

Have just seen your message. I have been 3 times to Togo,1 to Cote d'Ivoire, 1 to Senegal and 1 to Gambia. In the Francophone countries I think you will be less pestered than in say the Gambia. Much of West Africa is not tourist developed and off the main roads you may find you are the first white person villagers have seen. Be prepared for REAL poverty but dignity with it. NEVER drink water which has not come from a sealed bottle - unless of course you boil it.

May 13th, 1997, 01:29 PM
Mary Evans

Hi! We are travelling to Dakar, Senegal in August. We are going to deep-sea fish for 3 or 4 days. We have a free room for about 7 days. Is there anything in Dakar to do for the balance of the days or should we book a flight home earlier? Travel books are not much help. Very little information.

We appreciate your time.

Mary and Ron Evans

Search this Thread