Travelling to South Africa with 5 & 8 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to South Africa with 2 children ages 5 & 8 in April and am looking for some guidance. Has nayone been with kids of this age and did you manage to find a child friendly safari. Also what do you recommend to do in both Cape Town & on the Garden Route and are we mad taking our kids there but we want them to see the world and not just beaches and Disney?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Malaria?
So, they've seen most of the rest of the world already?

regards - tom
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM

There's plenty to do in South Africa with young children. South Africa is a 1st-world country, but with many 3rd-world problems.

As far as safari, best you find an area that is "malaria free" so no need for meds. And do determine whether children can go on game drives.

Otherwise, pick-up a guidebook for where, what, costs and names of tour operators who can assist. Or search here on Fodor's for info.

It's different traveling with children and their likes/dislikes and schedules than if adults. And, you know your children best.... but more than enough that will satisfy the entire family.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Addo is a popular choice for people staying in The Cape Region, however I Kruger is the jewel of game parks and I am very fond of The Game Region in Kwazulu Natal for it's beauty and close proximity to beaches. Malaria is not a serious problem in SA, however if you feel that you must take tabs then you may do so. We travelled to malaria areas in Kwazulu and Southern Mozambique this year with kid and never took any tabs. We just took mozzie creams and coils (we were camping). We also went to Phinda 2 years ago in the Kwazulu Natal with our daughter and never took meds. Very low risk areas and South African families travel in and out of these areas because they are prime holiday places. Choice is yours though, the meds are there if you need them. There is plenty for the kids to see on the Elephant Coast (certainly not Disney destination), rustic and beautiful. My friend took her kids to Hluhluwe not so long ago and they stayed just outside the park at The Tree Lodges and the staff took the kids toad hopping in the evening. There are horse trails, hippo, croc and bird boat cruises, walking trails in Hluhluwe (Regional Park), Whale watching & turtle tracking (seasonal), helicopter rides over the Sibaya Lakes (beautiful), pristine, untouched beaches for snorkelling/diving in The Indian Ocean, and of course the myriad of private and regional game parks (self drive): Pongola, Tembe Elephant Park, Hluhluwe/Mfolozi, Mkuze, Community tours, Zulu cultural tours, Zulu crafts, so much to do in this region.
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:23 AM

While many Africans do not take malaria meds, it's not a good idea to suggest to those from Western countries where diagnosing malaria isn't a daily occurence, to be visiting known malaria areas.

One bite is all that's needed and this family holiday won't be a pleasant experience.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM

It wasn't suggested that they don't take it, I told them what generally happens in SA and my own experiences. Read my post properly. Not just Africans go to these parks, millions of tourists yearly go and not all of them take malaria tablets. I am merely stating what the options are. And why would Africans be any different to westerners, we are not all exposed to daily occurence's as you suggest?
www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Lots to do in S Africa!

Here's a malaria map so you can decide for yourself. Every year the numbers of cases have decreased. They are making great strides:

http://www.sa-venues.com/malaria-risk-areas.htm

Look into Addo and Mountain Zebra parks. The oceanette accommodations at Storm's River Mouth look outstanding. Madikwe is malaria free, too. We are visiting the Waterberg area this year at Entabeni Conservancy.

In CT, the aquarium, penguins at Boulder Beach and Table Mt are all great for all ages. I would take them to Robben Island. A little history never hurt a kid! There is whale and shark watching.

Have fun planning!