Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Kenya and other African countries???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I'm newbie here, my fiance and I are going to kenya on the first week of November (7th) from Sweden to Nairobi...then later on to the neighbouring countries. Is there any advice, especially in Kenya (I'm Filipina and experienced traveller) I used to do some travel research/writing) but don't know nothing as I never been to Africa; regarding safety and health issues, maybe guesthouses etc. that we should know beforehand?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!!!

Rose
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM

What kind of trip are you doing and what, if anything, do you already have booked in terms of accommodation, transport, activities, anything...?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM

What the neighboring countries that interest you? Are you going to Uganda or Rwanda for gorillas?

Also, how long will you be gone and do you have a rough budget?
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Hi Rose - you need to be a bit more specific. Like are you travelling independently or with a tour?

For health same applies for either -the usual vaccinations apply - and don't drink the tap water. Take mozzie repellent if you are going to the coast.

I never had any problems with safety except it's true that you shouldn't wander around Nairobi on the streets at night. I travelled all round Uganda on public transport - no issues - had a ball!

But, yeh, just some early observations.

Cheers.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 05:16 AM

Please provide more info such as:
- how long total days in Africa
- which countries
- areas in each country
- how plan to get from country-to-country
- traveling with a group or independently (own guide/vehicle)
- accommodations - have you booked or plan to just "drop-in"
- anything else that will garner replies to assist

November is the "short" rains in East Africa; also wet in many neigboring countries, even in the southern countries. Rarely rain all day, but you should know.

Visas are required for most of these countries, but pre-determine requirements based on the passports under which you are traveling.

Passing from Kenya to other countries you'll need Yellow Fever inoculation; also other recommended inocs; most important is malaria meds; Insect repellent and sun protection for the Equatoria sun.

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

THANK YOU very much for all your replies and sorry for my late response.

Anyway, we are going to Nairobi for a short time, then onward Tanzania, Uganda, Mozambique, Rwanda, Angola and South Africa. We are also planning on going to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt (but the last mentioned countries are just if we still have more time) and off from work.

We are travelling INDEPEDENTLY and we have time between 6 months to one year. We are not really used to booked a tour-but if the tour is affordable why not? Having said that, we are also looking for a safe and inexpensive guesthouses or hotels especially in Nairobi.

We are not into safari really, but we are interested on sights that is educational, not only about animals, though gorillas are interesting.

We have done our vaccinations but we are still contemplating on prophylaxis for obvious reason that anti-malaria tablets have a horrible side effects. We are going to talk to a doctor for the pills that we can bring in case we suspect we get malaria. Is this a good decision?

Thanks Kavey, atravelynn, afteral and sandi for the response.

Can you guys give us some names of guesthouses or hotels in Nairobi?

Thanks again and cheers all!!!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I can't recommend any guesthouses in Nairobi as we stayed in the Serena hotel there but I think you might enjoy a visit to Kazuri Beads in Karen, Nairobi.

In Tanzania we loved Gibbs Farm, a non-safari stop in beautiful grounds. Not budget but gorgeous!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM

Crazy About Kenya is a hip and happening website for people who want to get an insider perspective on the destination. You can chill to jazz, hip-hop, reggae and soul fusion on the websites duke box – a group of talented Kenyan musicians bringing the destination to life.
Africa’s wildlife capital is live and it rocks (http://www.crazyaboutkenya.com) - get in on the action and answer the call of the wild for your chance to win one of ten Rough Guides to Kenya.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Most of us have not experienced horrible side effects from malaria pills. But a 6-month plus regiment may be excessive. Talking to a doctor is good.

In Rwanda Lake Kivu is supposed to be quite lovely and not a safari destination.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Sounds like you are planning an amazing trip!! I wouldn't stress out about anti-malarials cos it really does depend on where you are going. Might be better to get really strict with yourselves re skin applied repellent, long sleeve tops, long pants, mozzie nets.

Sort of depends how cheap you are travelling. If you are sleeping in a/c places (windows closed obviously) then it's just the outside after dusk you have to consider. If you are going cheap then you might want to carry your own mozzie net.

Re accommo in Nairobi. I passed through four times during the 90s and always stayed at the Gloria - but the last time was ten years ago so don't want to recommend. However, another cheap n cheerful I have also been to (was fine) has recently featured in a post by Nyamera. You could look it up.

Hotel Terminal. Muindi Mbingu Street - north of the inner city; within walking distance to everything. Last stayed there 1991 but Nymamera has been there recently.

All the best. Bon Voyage.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I'd mention that one of your anti-malaria options is Doxycycline in the same dose used to treat teen acne...it's taken long term in that case too. Where possible, group your malaria and non-malaria destinations together to minimize the amount of time you'd need medication. It is possible to self-treat if you are truly in isloated location, but far better to see MD and get correct diagnosis rather than "guessing" what your symptoms mean. If uncertain where to find good MD, call American Embassy and ask which local clinics/doctors they use for their staff.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I want to say THANKS a lot for all your replies. It certainly help a lot on our planning. I will report on this trip from time to time as an update for everyone to read later on.

We'll check on Nymamera's blog for sure...

Cheers everyone!!!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Hello Rose,
A double room at the Terminal is 1,700 shillings and my unfinished trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35150744