Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Travelling to Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/travelling-to-botswana-namibia-zimbabwe-47865/)

Maite Sanmartin Jul 5th, 1999 01:50 AM

Travelling to Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Next August I'm travelling for 17 days to Chobe delta, Okavango, Victoria falls... <BR>We are a group of 9 people, travelling on 4x4 and doing camping. I'm wondering about the weather (is it really that cold at night and hot during the day?) and some advises or recommendations for the trip (the "musts"!). I also would appreciate any suggestion about local manufacturers.

Chris McIntyre Jul 5th, 1999 07:23 AM

- - - - - - - <BR>Dear Maite <BR> <BR>I write Bradt guidebooks to these countries, and also run a tour operation there from the UK. <BR> <BR>Yes - it is going to be cold in Chobe in August at night. <BR>I've known savuti area to go below freezing - but it's hot in the day! <BR> <BR>You'll find most of the info that you want on Namibia in the 'Guide to Namibia' which I've put on-line as part of my website - www.sunvil.co.uk/africa <BR> <BR>Hope it helps. <BR> <BR>Best regards - <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Chris <BR> <BR>- - - - - - -

Koen Jul 7th, 1999 01:06 PM

Hi, <BR> <BR>My favourites : <BR> <BR>Okavango delta (go bush camping 2-3 days; but do not swim in the water it is contaminated with Bilharzia) <BR> <BR>Yes it can be very hot; we had 51°C in Nata (Botswana). Drink lots of water (containing salt; lemon and sugar). Visit the salt plains around Nata. <BR> <BR>Vic Falls; yes it is beautiful but I find it a bit of trap; you easily spend lots of money if you go rafting etc... watch your budget! <BR>Again it is very humid around the falls. <BR> <BR>I spend 4 weeks in the area and slept outside under a mosquito net... So it is not that cold. I was there in November <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip <BR> <BR>Koen <BR> <BR> <BR>

cristina Jul 9th, 1999 02:45 AM

Hi MAite <BR>I'm impressed with your idea of travellling alone around this zone of africa. <BR>I tried to do the same by travel agency going up from capetown to vic falls, but it were too many days for my holidays (27). I would like to heard about your trip, because is my deal do something similar. By chance, are you from Spain ?. Sorry for my spanglish....

cristina Jul 9th, 1999 03:13 AM

Hi MAite <BR>I'm impressed with your idea of travelling alone around this zone of africa. <BR>I tried to do the same by travel agency going up from capetown to vic falls, but it were too many days for my holidays (29). may i ask you hearing about your trip, Going to Africa is one of my old est reves ( sueños?)and is my deal making something similar. By chance, are you from Spain ?. Sorry for my spanglish for all the other colisters....

cristina Jul 9th, 1999 03:16 AM

Hi MAite <BR>I'm impressed with your idea of travelling alone around this zone of africa. <BR>I tried to do the same by travel agency going up from capetown to vic falls, but it were too many days for my holidays (29). may i ask you hearing about your trip, Going to Africa is one of my old est reves ( sueños?)and is my deal making something similar. By chance, are you from Spain ?. Sorry for my spanglish for all the other colisters....

cristina Jul 9th, 1999 03:17 AM

cristina Jul 9th, 1999 03:18 AM

AJ Dec 10th, 2000 10:23 AM

Had the trip of a lifetime in September in Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. We travel overseas every year (backpack) and this was one of our best trips. We were driven around for 3 weeks in a 4x4 by a South African man who cooked, arranged campsites and accommodation, drove us on game drives, provided all camping gear, all for under $3K US. We usually travel independently but this part of the world doesn't have much in the way of public transport, and no public transport goes on game drives. We saw every animal imaginable and none of the crowds like East Africa. I highly recommend this person. He was easy to get along with and really knows his way around. He thought of everything. We went to Matobo and Vic Falls, Chobe, Savuti and Moremi, Etosha and Namib dunes. Contact me at: [email protected] <BR>for info on how to contact him.

Holly Brady May 2nd, 2001 04:49 PM

We were there in August, and at night it was COLD. Not Chicago-cold, mind you, but no-heat-in-this-tent cold. We slept in every piece of clothing we brought. But once the sun was up, we were fine. Typical camping, if you ask me. <BR> <BR>Vic Falls is a bit touristy on the ground, but spectacular if you can find a way to fly over it. I recommend the Vic Falls hotel--old English--to any of the others, which can remind you of Las Vegas.