Travelling in South Africa with children

Dec 16th, 1997, 09:36 AM
Sylvia

Travelling in South Africa with children

Our family, including 15 and 13 year old girls and 10 year old boy, will be travelling to South Africa in December '98. My husband will attend a conference at the University of Cape Town December 13-18. After that we would like to spend a few weeks seeing the sights. At this stage, we would appreciate any and all suggestions as to what to see and do, how to get around and where to stay. We are not on a budget but generally are not inclined to first-class travel. I know this will be a very busy time for travelling but we have to accommodate the children's school schedules (and, of course, my husband's conference). I want to start planning now in order to make this a wonderful experience for all of us.

Dec 23rd, 1997, 08:50 AM
Don Lindsay

You will find Cape Town and in fact South Africa no problem when travelling with your family. Cape Town like all big cities everywhere has lots for everyone of all ages. Since SA's readmittance to the world Cape Town has become one of the places to be especially in December so book well in advance.

Travellng out from Cape Town in any direction is worth doing. If the kids think that travelling with Mom & Dad is unthinkable you could safely dump them off at the huge V&A Waterfront for the day.

A tip. The Atlantic coastline, commonly called the West Coast here is well worth a visit if for no other reason than to have (an extended and boozy) barbeque lunch at one of the traditional beach barbeques. You will find them at Langebaan and Lambert's Bay. No beach bum affair this - fresh crayfish, mussels and other seafoods in abundance.

Also well worth a visit are the various wine growing areas such as Franschoek ans Stellenbosch to name but two. The vineyards or wine farms as we call them often have gracious homesteads with excellent restaurants eg. Boschendal. Again book well in advance.

A final tip. Pack your largest clothes. Eating out and drinking are cheap!

Enjoy our beatiful country. Try Satour's site for official info.

Jan 21st, 1998, 05:40 AM
Noelle van der Waag

Hi Sylvia

To add to the above comments - I hear that at Lamberts bay you can now go for a boat trip to watch whales and great white sharks (these denizens are now protected in South African waters and very special). Also if the kids want to go to the beach drop them at Camps Bay, Clifton or Llandudno for the Day - very hip places to be seen. As far as accomodation is concerned there is plenty but you should be more specific about what type %3D houses, flats, hotels etc. Do you want beach front, waterfront, winelands or mountainside? Aside from day trips up the West Coast (highly reccomended - I live here!) also try Hermanus on the south caost for the day - also great for whale watching. Cape Town is really great, there is loads to do in the day and the evening, i would suggest that you contact Satour on the web to find out what will be going down in Cape Town next December. Book your accomadation soon, however, or you may not find any.

Search this Thread