Search

Trip to Jburg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 06:46 PM
carol

Trip to Jburg

I plan to arrive in Joburg on May 5 - traveling from NY via London and will be spending 10 days. I have confirmed reservations at Crown Plaza, Sandton. A game reserve, the gold reef and Soweto is of great interest. Any suggestion on getting to these places, on a budget. I would also like to visit Cape Town and Sun City. What help can you give me? Oh yes, the weather and appropriate clothing needs.<BR><BR>Carol

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:33 PM
Vanessa

Hi Carol,<BR>The weather is getting a bit nippy especially in the mornings and in the evenings. Best to carry a jumper if you going out. We don't boast an impressive public transport system, but it certainly is one of the better transport systems in Africa. Gaging from your itenery the places you are going to are not difficult to access and shouldn't be too costly. First price, is if you can hire a car, our road conditions are excellent (if you stick to main roads)and you can get reasonable deals on car hire. Take note though that we drive on the other side of the road from the US. Otherwise, when you get to JHB Int. airport there should be a bus shuttle that goes to Sandton. Mention your hotel details and the driver will drop you off at the right hotel. You can also take a taxi but you may get ripped off. You might want to contact a local backpackers once you get to Joburg. They can offer good advice on suitable tours both to the Kruger (safari) and the heritage sites and very reasonable costs. Also tour operators normally pick up and drop off saving you costs. Sun City is about a 3-3.5 hour bus trip from Joburg. Suggest you try catching a luxury coach. To get to Cape Town, its best to fly though bus (luxury coaches) are available and cost far less but take forever. The journey is about 14 hours by road, but fairly comfortable. Check out www.flysaa.co.za for flight specials to CT. Our national airlines is currently running some amazing deals but you need to book early.<BR>Good luck.<BR>Hope you enjoy you stay in our culture rich country that has certainly come a long way.<BR><BR>Vanessa

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:17 AM
local

Hi Carol.<BR><BR>Yip, we are moving into winter, so some cooler to cold evenings, no snow though. I cannot add anything more to the above suggestions but that your hotel will be more than able to assist with your needs. I would be carefull for renting a car as we drive on the left hand side of the road, Jo'burgs roads are busy at the best of times and even for us you need to concentrate on what you are doing. You will not have time to search for roads, so you may easily get lost and land up in areas you do not want to be. I am sure that there must be short tours to Soweto and Gold Reef City(?) that will collect you from your hotel. I agree on the taxis and will not try them. It is not on the same level than in Europe for instance and most of them are notoriously bad drivers. <BR><BR>I would suggest that you visit Pilanesberg Game reserve when you go to Sun City. They are next to each other and, between the two, should not be more than a day trip. There are busses that go to Sun City from Jo'burg. (You can also fly there). Kruger Park is in the complete opposite direction and a five hour drive from Jhb, so it takes you about a day just to get there, unless you fly. <BR><BR>Gold Reef City and Soweto should be another day trip - 2 days gone. I will not stay longer.<BR><BR>I agree with the flying to Cape Town - 2 hour flight. I have never tried the bus - not enough space, but we have once gone by train and I will recommend it any time. Takes a day though. <BR><BR>Cape Town is Cape Town and I recommend more time here vs Jhb. Lots(!) to see and to do - make your pick.<BR><BR><BR><BR>Enjoy you trip!!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:17 AM
local

Hi Carol.<BR><BR>Yip, we are moving into winter, so some cooler to cold evenings, no snow though. I cannot add anything more to the above suggestions but that your hotel will be more than able to assist with your needs. I would be carefull for renting a car as we drive on the left hand side of the road, Jo'burgs roads are busy at the best of times and even for us you need to concentrate on what you are doing. You will not have time to search for roads, so you may easily get lost and land up in areas you do not want to be. I am sure that there must be short tours to Soweto and Gold Reef City(?) that will collect you from your hotel. I agree on the taxis and will not try them. It is not on the same level than in Europe for instance and most of them are notoriously bad drivers. <BR><BR>I would suggest that you visit Pilanesberg Game reserve when you go to Sun City. They are next to each other and, between the two, should not be more than a day trip. There are busses that go to Sun City from Jo'burg. (You can also fly there). Kruger Park is in the complete opposite direction and a five hour drive from Jhb, so it takes you about a day just to get there, unless you fly. <BR><BR>Gold Reef City and Soweto should be another day trip - 2 days gone. I will not stay longer.<BR><BR>I agree with the flying to Cape Town - 2 hour flight. I have never tried the bus - not enough space, but we have once gone by train and I will recommend it any time. Takes a day though. <BR><BR>Cape Town is Cape Town and I recommend more time here vs Jhb. Lots(!) to see and to do - make your pick.<BR><BR><BR><BR>Enjoy you trip!!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:19 AM
local

Hi Carol.<BR><BR>Yip, we are moving into winter, so some cooler to cold evenings, no snow though. I cannot add anything more to the above suggestions but that your hotel will be more than able to assist with your needs. I would be carefull for renting a car as we drive on the left hand side of the road, Jo'burg's roads are busy at the best of times and even for us you need to concentrate on what you are doing. You will not have time to search for roads, so you may easily get lost and land up in areas you do not want to be. I am sure that there must be short tours to Soweto and Gold Reef City(?) that will collect you from your hotel. I agree on the taxis and will not try them. It is not on the same level than in Europe for instance and most of them are notoriously bad drivers. <BR><BR>I would suggest that you visit Pilanesberg Game reserve when you go to Sun City. They are next to each other and, between the two, should not be more than a day trip. There are busses that go to Sun City from Jo'burg. (You can also fly there). Kruger Park is in the complete opposite direction and a five hour drive from Jhb, so it takes you about a day just to get there, unless you fly. <BR><BR>Gold Reef City and Soweto should be another day trip - 2 days gone. I will not stay longer.<BR><BR>I agree with the flying to Cape Town - 2 hour flight. I have never tried the bus - not enough space, but we have once gone by train and I will recommend it any time. Takes a day though. <BR><BR>Cape Town is Cape Town and I recommend more time here vs Jhb. Lots(!) to see and to do - make your pick.<BR><BR>Clothing? Casual with jumper and maybe some smart casual for dinner.<BR><BR>Enjoy you trip!!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Lisa

Hi Local,<BR>Where have you been? I was starting to get worried about you. I e-mailed you a question about the situation at Vic Falls. We've decided to go to the Zambian side now.