Traveling with Diabetes

Aug 10th, 2000, 12:19 AM
Renae

Traveling with Diabetes

I will be going to Israel and Egypt in December and am a type 1 (insulin dependent)diabetic. Does anyone have experience traveling in the middle east with this disease? How is healthcare over there? Any advise?

Aug 10th, 2000, 02:49 PM
Michele

Renae,
Can't speak at all about Egypt, but I became very ill in Israel. (I'm not a diabetic, however) I needed the services of a doctor, on the Sabbath no less, and I feel I received excellent care. As a matter of fact, the doctor in Israel actually was able to direct me towards a diagnosis (hyperthyroid) that had eluded my doctors in the U.S.

Any of the major cities in Israel (Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Haifa) have very good hospital facilities, and if the doctors are anything like I had, they are very knowledgeable as well.

My advice would be to make sure you are well versed in your medical history, maybe have something from your physician outlining what type of care you are under, etc. Also, make sure you have health insurance that is honored in Israel. I worked with a girl who had to have her appendix removed while in Israel and didn't have medical insurance. Everything turned out OK, but everything was a hassle as well.

Hope some one can help you regarding Egypt!

Have a wonderful trip!

Aug 17th, 2000, 08:43 AM
renae

Thanks for the story and advise....good ideas!
Renae

Aug 17th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Angela

Renae, I Agree with Michele. I lived in Israel for a year, I had pneumonia while there and received great treatment. Israel has some of the most advanced medical facilities in the world, equal to anything in the Europe or the States (I would imagine). It is at the forefront in many areas of medical research. There are modern facilities and well educated doctors and nurses. Can't imagine that you would have any problems there. I don't think Egypt is quite up to the standards we enjoy in the west, though I have no direct experience, so perhaps shouldn't make comment on that (!)

Search this Thread