traveling with a baby

Oct 10th, 2005, 12:23 AM
hcs
Original Poster

traveling with a baby

I'm looking for advice on planning a 10-12 day trip to Egypt in November. We have an 11 month old baby and while we want to see as much as Egypt as possible, we know we will have to take it easy and choose two or three desinations. We are considering Cairo and Sharm Es-Sheikh or Hurghada. Can anyone give advice on traveling in Egypt with a baby? Destinations, good hotels, and activities? Many thanks.
Oct 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM

A baby that age does not really care where s/he goes. Some more general advice is about Egypt in general.

Be extremely careful about food and water - and ask your pediatrician for some stand-by medication in case baby gets some sort of GI upset to avoid dehydration. Sun exposure will require similar caution and care.

If you can tolerate it and baby likes it, a back-pack would be preferable to a stroller in most locations. Curb cuts on sidewalks are hard to find, street can be crowded, alleys narrow, and at historic sites, walkways can be uneven, sand-covered. Stairs are also common.

I have mixed feelings about a Nile cruise with a baby. On the one hand it is a more relaxed pace of travel than land-based - although you get on/off boat once or twice a day, there is a significant amount of down time. However, this down time is not flexible to accomodate baby's schedule - you are at the mercy of where you are on the River when. And I am not sure how other passengers would react to a baby.
Oct 11th, 2005, 02:13 AM

The good news is that you are targeting November... when the weather is pleasent (compared to the heat of summer)....

I would personaly advise against going to upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan, Nile Cruising etc...) with a baby that is yet to reach his/her first year.

I would limit my stay to Cairo and maybe Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada (El Gouna) ... you must expect a really slow pace to accomodate the baby...

In Cairo I would recommend hotels that are relatively quiet with lots of green spaces (Mena House Oberoi, Oasis and Kataract... all close to the Pyramids and away from the hussle and bussle of the city).

Again, with such a young person.... being in a resort (Sharm, Hurghada) will be more relaxing to all of you... Cairo would be the difficult place to navigate with a baby....
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Where ever you go, the Egyptians will dote on your child.

Search this Thread