Traveling the World!

Jun 5th, 1999, 11:37 PM
Jennifer Diaz

Traveling the World!

My husband and I have been thinking about traveling the world an entire year. We would like to hear from other's experience over an extended travel period. One of the most elementary question we have in deciding whether we can afford it is how much money will it take for both of us. We know it depends on many things such as where we plan to stay, eat, etc. We are not sure of all the details but we would probably backpack most of the time. However, we would like to stay in a halfway decent hotel (2 star U.S. equivalent) about 4-5 times a month. Thanks in advance!

Jun 8th, 1999, 05:03 PM
Rusty

I was in Europe for 6 months a few years ago, backpacking around. Your best bet, in Europe, is to buy a Eurailpass (or 2) before you leave. Sleep on trains as much as possible, scheduling trips at night, keep your ticket and you can sleep in most of the train stations throughout Central Europe. Be careful doing this in Eastern Europe as the Police are not real friendly or under- standing. I stayed in a hotel a few times a month, the trains stations usually have a shower you can 'rent'. The best advice I can give is to BE FRIENDLY!! especially on trains. Most Southern and Western Europeans are genuinely curious about individual Americans and will go out of their way to help you, even letting you stay with them if you hit it off as friends. I took about 2,000 U.S. Dollars, watched my spending and by the
end of my time there, I was rag-ass busted. I hope this helps,

Search this Thread