Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any advice, ideas, suggestions for planning a trip along the garden route and extension to the seychelles or zanzibar

Search

Any advice, ideas, suggestions for planning a trip along the garden route and extension to the seychelles or zanzibar

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
jill fletcher

In July 2003 a group of parents (I am one) are supporting a UK school boy rugby tour of South Africa. The team will play in Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Hermanus, Kynsna and Port Elizabeth over 10 days. I'd be grateful for any recommendations on 4/5 star accomodation and good restaurants along the route and also places to visit (no small children in the group).<BR>The boys then fly from Port Elizabeth to J'burg and onto The Kruger, we're keen to do a safari too but are open to other ideas of game parks. We'll all meet up back at J'burg on day 13. We then plan to take our son on a weeks break to Seychelles / Zanzibar for a beach type holiday (Snorkelling / swimming / relaxing). From J'burg is it relatively easy to transfer to Seychelles or would you recommend somewhere else before returning to the UK. Many thanks!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
RR

Author: rachel ([email protected])<BR>Date: 05/30/2001, 01:02 pm<BR>Message: check out Mnemba Island off Zanzibar, where Bill Gates apparently stays.I stayed there about 7 years ago and it was heaven. Also check out Kiwayu in Kenya. If you need details then try the company i used in Africa - vintage africa (vintageafrica.com)<BR><BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Mary

We visited both Zanzibar and Seychelles. <BR>Zanzibar hands down!!!!!<BR>Personally I would stay in South Africa. There is so much to do.<BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:13 PM
jay

If you can go to Oudtshoorn which is inland on the Garden Route it is interesting to visit an ostrich farm and also to go through the Cango Caves.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:09 AM
traci

The grown ups can make the most of Stellenbosch wine route, and the boys will probably enjoy a stop at Storms River mouth between Knysna and Port Elizabeth. This is in the Tsitsikamma forest, and the suspended footbridge over the water definitely gets the adrenalin going. For the true adrenalin junkies you can bungee off the road bridge, I think it may be the highest bridge bungee in the world - I stand to be corrected. I saw a programme recently on a "tree safari" conducted in the Tsitsikamma forest. Essentially you are strapped into a harness and guided between the trees suspended off the ground. The operators have gone to great lengths to ensure that nothing in the environment has been damaged in setting the trail up. Apparently it is a very unique way to experience the forest: from between the branches as opposed to walking among the tree trunks. I am going to be in the George area within the next few weeks and will be on the lookout for any recommendations. In general, however, my experience has been that four star in SA is far superior to what is considered 4 star in other countries. And that is not just national pride - other postings on this forum support this. There are any number of top class hotels/lodges along the Garden Route. Try this site: www.portfoliocollection.com<BR>They have a good selection by area of venues with all details about services and facilities and I think you can even book online.<BR>To answer your query about Johannesburg/Seychelles: you will have no problems in getting a scheduled flight between the two.