travel with kids

Oct 7th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Glenda

travel with kids

We are hoping to take our 11 and 13 year old children on a safari and beach trip to Kenya and Tanzania in July. Two years ago, we travelled to Thailand and Malaysia, no tour, a mix of budget bungalows on beaches (Perhentian Islands!) and the occasional upscale hotel in cities. We always felt safe and relaxed in Asia, and our children were treated with great kindness. We've never been to Africa and I'd like to know if safety is a serious concern. Stories about muggings worry me. Any comments or advice? Although we'd book our safari (suggestions?), I'm wondering if we also need to book the coastal part of the trip, or should we just wing it? Both Lamu and Zanzibar sound appealing. We tend to enjoy snorkeling and a low-key atmosphere. Any preferences? Thanks in advance for your contributions. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 7th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Jan Goss

Glenda:

By all means take the kids. It will be a trip of a life time for all of you. Having been to Kenya twice in the last two years, I would not let the kids wander away from the hotel in either Nairobi or Mombasa. The city isn't really safe. However, as soon as you get away from the city it is like a different world. No televisions, telephones, radios, etc. Heavenly quiet with only the animals, wind and stars!! I think the only thing I would stress to the kids before you go is that if they are told to be quiet, it means quiet right away. We were about 10 feet away from a bull elephant in musth and if everyone hadn't been absolutely quiet when we were told by the guide to do so, it could have been disastrous. If they are told to stay on the paths - they should do so. If they see snakes or creepy crawlies, leave them alone. They probably will not see these, but it is best to be prepared just in case. These rules are made for their safety. They will absolutely love it though. The people you will meet along the way are fantastically wonderful people and will do anything to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

If you don't wish to do a group tour, contact Southern Cross Safaris.com and tell them what you are interested in seeing and which areas you wish to see. They will set up an itinerary for you to your specifications in either Kenya or Tanzania. I have used them on my two previous trips and am using them now to set up my next trip. It is a well-run organization. Ask for Torben or Chomba. Their website has some group safaris listed, but if you wish to travel with just your family, I'm sure they will be happy to serve you. If you are "cat" people you'll probably want to go to the Mara or Serengeti. For elephants you can't beat Amboseli and Tsavo East. I have not done the beach because I wanted to spend all my days elephant watching. However, there are may choice available to you.

If you have any further questions feel free to E-mail me. I'll help in any way that I can.

Jan

Oct 7th, 2002, 03:17 PM
asdf

She is correct, a private tour is a lot better than a mass group. I have used Safari Magic with great success. They have private safaris but with pre-established itineraries, which provides a good start for figuring out what you want to do. They also do completely custom if that's your bag. safarimagic.com is their site.

Search this Thread