Travel to West Africa

Nov 15th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Dave

Travel to West Africa

We have the possibility of an organized tour to Senegal, Mali (Timbuktu), and Gambia in Feb. Has anyone been there recently or can give any advice?

Nov 15th, 2001, 10:11 AM
kelly

Hi Dave,

I recently came back from 10 days on my own in Senegal. It is a fantastic country. When are you planning to go? I was there in mid-sept which is the rainy season and way too hot. I don't advise going then. Plus, many national parcs are also closed. I was told the best months are Nov-Feb. I have a webpage with a travelogue and photos if you are interested:

http://www.advweb.com/kelly/senegal

Also, note that for Senegal you will need a host of jabs and also malaria meds, not a problem but plan ahead. Email if you have any questions!

Kelly

Nov 21st, 2001, 01:05 AM
Myriam

As Kelly I've only been to Senegal, in a place called Nianing, south of M'Bour. This was in March 1999. Early in the year is the best period: nice and warm during the day, cool at night. No mosquitos and absolutely not humid.
I've written a travel story - haven't had time yet to translate it though - but you may want to look at some pictures on http://www.geocities.com/mhc2001be/senegal/senegal.html

Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
John

Have you considered an experiential program? Living in guest houses or with Senegalese families, enjoying village life? I know of a three week program to Senegal for people who really want to get to know the culture. Only five people plus the two leaders are in the program. I'd be happy to tell you more.

Search this Thread