Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Travel to Nigeria (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/travel-to-nigeria-994259/)

Kimcares Oct 7th, 2013 01:32 AM

Travel to Nigeria

I've noticed that most questions asked about Nigeria were not asked, I guess its because we don't have much people who have visited Nigeria on this forum.

If you have any questions about travelling to Nigeria, different destinations in Nigeria, :) holla back at me.

Isabella36 Aug 25th, 2018 08:43 AM

Nigeria

Originally Posted by Kimcares (Post 15994259)
I've noticed that most questions asked about Nigeria were not asked, I guess its because we don't have much people who have visited Nigeria on this forum.

If you have any questions about travelling to Nigeria, different destinations in Nigeria, :) holla back at me.

Hi ,
I will be traveling to Nigeria for the first time, this Christmas and arriving in Lagos. I planned to go several years ago but it didn't work out. However, I purchased my flight ticket, and am ready to start my visa application but there are a few things that I am unsure and/or confused about.

This is what is required for a tourist visa:

1. Original Passport valid for at least 6 months - I have a Canadian passport and is valid.

2. One recent coloured passport size photograph with at least 3 months validity. I'm not sure what they need this for. Do they apply this to the visa? In other applications, I have seen them request two photos.

3. Completed online Entry Visa Application Form and Sign - So complete application online, print off and sign.

4. Confirmed Payment - I believe the Visa fee is $75 US app. $98 Cdn

5. Visa Acknowledgment Slip - Is this receipt that you paid for the visa?

6. Forward original passport, all required documents and a self-addressed return CANADA POST PRIORITY OR XPRESSPOST ENVELOPE ONLY.

7. Drop off the visa application is Tuesday to Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 1:00pm.
*Can I send it by registered mail instead of going in person as I live 4 hours from Ottawa?

8. Photocopy of Yellow Fever vaccination certificate. *I will visit a travel clinic to get my vaccinations and malaria tablets. I'm taking cannabis oil and antidepressants, and read that Malarone is one of the better ones to take in this situation. I know that it's expensive but I would prefer something with less side effects. I'm hoping that the cannabis oil will counteract the affects. I will also request a letter to the embassy, to allow me to bring my cannabis oil with me. I have a registered card in Canada but know that I will need permission by the Nigerian consulate.

Requirements for Tourist Visa:
ITEMS 1-12 above +
a. A typed self-explanatory letter request for Tourist visa - I'm not sure what I am supposed to write here besides a request for a Tourist visa for (dates) and to visit friend.
Is there anyone who has done this and would be willing to help or share their letter?

b. Letter of Confirmation of employment from employer in Canada - I will request a letter from my employer.

c. A confirmed hotel reservation for the duration of stay in Nigeria, and copy of Hotel Employer's Identification Card - My trip is not until December 21, 2018 so I haven't booked any hotels yet. It seems too early to be doing this especially since during part of my trip, I will be traveling to another town (Enugu) to visit another friend but don't have the exact dates. What do I do? And why do I need to get a copy of an employer's identification care from the hotel?

d. Evidence of sufficient funds: Photocopy of Receipts for the purchase of U.S. funds from the bank considered adequate to cover the cost of the trip and not Statement of Account.

Does it have to be from the bank? What if I go to one of those money exchange places in the mall? Also, how much is "sufficient" for them? I don't know how much to bring as I don't know how much things cost in Nigeria. Also, when traveling to Europe, which I know is very different, I used my credit card a lot but mostly for bigger purchases but had euros on me. I'm just wondering if it's better to use cash more and keep the credit card for anything major?
*I was advised to use a Revolut card.

Thank you for your help! : )

chasisboi Sep 10th, 2018 12:59 AM

The number of Nigerian related questions have dropped a lot.
But there are some of us who grew up and still live in Nigeria with a lot of travel advice on here ;)

chasisboi Sep 10th, 2018 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Isabella36 (Post 16783980)
Hi ,
I will be traveling to Nigeria for the first time, this Christmas and arriving in Lagos. I planned to go several years ago but it didn't work out. However, I purchased my flight ticket, and am ready to start my visa application but there are a few things that I am unsure and/or confused about.

This is what is required for a tourist visa:

1. Original Passport valid for at least 6 months - I have a Canadian passport and is valid.

2. One recent coloured passport size photograph with at least 3 months validity. I'm not sure what they need this for. Do they apply this to the visa? In other applications, I have seen them request two photos.

3. Completed online Entry Visa Application Form and Sign - So complete application online, print off and sign.

4. Confirmed Payment - I believe the Visa fee is $75 US app. $98 Cdn

5. Visa Acknowledgment Slip - Is this receipt that you paid for the visa?

6. Forward original passport, all required documents and a self-addressed return CANADA POST PRIORITY OR XPRESSPOST ENVELOPE ONLY.

7. Drop off the visa application is Tuesday to Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 1:00pm.
*Can I send it by registered mail instead of going in person as I live 4 hours from Ottawa?

8. Photocopy of Yellow Fever vaccination certificate. *I will visit a travel clinic to get my vaccinations and malaria tablets. I'm taking cannabis oil and antidepressants, and read that Malarone is one of the better ones to take in this situation. I know that it's expensive but I would prefer something with less side effects. I'm hoping that the cannabis oil will counteract the affects. I will also request a letter to the embassy, to allow me to bring my cannabis oil with me. I have a registered card in Canada but know that I will need permission by the Nigerian consulate.

Requirements for Tourist Visa:
ITEMS 1-12 above +
a. A typed self-explanatory letter request for Tourist visa - I'm not sure what I am supposed to write here besides a request for a Tourist visa for (dates) and to visit friend.
Is there anyone who has done this and would be willing to help or share their letter?

b. Letter of Confirmation of employment from employer in Canada - I will request a letter from my employer.

c. A confirmed hotel reservation for the duration of stay in Nigeria, and copy of Hotel Employer's Identification Card - My trip is not until December 21, 2018 so I haven't booked any hotels yet. It seems too early to be doing this especially since during part of my trip, I will be traveling to another town (Enugu) to visit another friend but don't have the exact dates. What do I do? And why do I need to get a copy of an employer's identification care from the hotel?

d. Evidence of sufficient funds: Photocopy of Receipts for the purchase of U.S. funds from the bank considered adequate to cover the cost of the trip and not Statement of Account.

Does it have to be from the bank? What if I go to one of those money exchange places in the mall? Also, how much is "sufficient" for them? I don't know how much to bring as I don't know how much things cost in Nigeria. Also, when traveling to Europe, which I know is very different, I used my credit card a lot but mostly for bigger purchases but had euros on me. I'm just wondering if it's better to use cash more and keep the credit card for anything major?
*I was advised to use a Revolut card.

Thank you for your help! : )

Hi,

I can't give much advice about travelling with cannabis oils as I've never had any experience with that.

But concerning your question on what amount of money is sufficient, things in Nigeria are generally cheaper due to their poor currency exchange.
You can get a great hotel from 100 - 150USD (you can still get a decent one for (60 - 100USD).
A Taxi (Uber or Taxify) usually costs less than 15USD on a long trip
You can get great food for $30 or less ($30 for extra classy food and less if you opt for cheaper options)
You can also find a lot of affordable markets to shop at.

I would advice that you come with cash (keep your cash very safe and dont let people know that you are carry large ammounts of foreign currency with you). Credit cards are not widely accepted so it may be a little difficult for you to use them.

Let me know if you need any more info, id be glad to help.

celestynd Sep 27th, 2018 03:22 AM

You will need a bank statement showing you have some funds in your account to take of you on your trip to Nigeria.

tripcrafting Sep 27th, 2018 07:48 AM

hey, what is the best wildlife experience in Nigeria?

celestynd Sep 28th, 2018 04:15 PM

Hi @tripcrafting,

You will have the best wildlife experience at the Yankari Game Reserve (Yankari National Park), Bauchi State. Another amazing parks are the Drill Ranch, Afi Mountain Wildlife Sanctuary in Cross River State, Nigeria.

Let me know if you need further information.

ashleyedwards Oct 24th, 2018 11:14 AM

Hi @kimcares, I've visited Nigeria a great many times, any particular questions? Otherwise I suggest you just go and check it out, other travellers are always the best source of information on where to go & what to do!