Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Travel to CPT & JNB & airline info (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/travel-to-cpt-and-jnb-and-airline-info-736924/)

mcdan58 Sep 16th, 2007 05:58 PM

Travel to CPT & JNB & airline info

I am planning a trip to South Africa in May 2008. I already have a RT ticket to Johannesburg. (wish I had thought to get a ticket flying into Capetown & flying out of Johannesburg).
My ideal itinerary is to do 5 days in Capetown, 2 days in Johannesburg, 3-4 nights at the Elephant Plains Lodge (Sabi Sand ). I am trying to figure out how to this with the least amount of backtracking. Renting a car and/or flying are both options. I am familiar with Mango, Kulula, Nationwide & SAA. Are there any other airlines?

Main question: Should I

1. fly from NYC to JNB
2. spend the time in JNB
3. Fly/or drive from JNB to Nelspruit
for the Safari @ Elephant Plains
4. Fly from Nelspruit- Capetown
5. Spend 5 nights in Capetown
6. Fly from Capetown back to JNB
7. Fly from JNB back to NYC.

Confusing right? I would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

ps. What if I had decided to do the Garden route? I am sure that would really have complicated things (smile) thanks

allycb Sep 18th, 2007 10:12 AM

There is another SA low cost airline called 1Time Airline.
Had you wanted to do the Garden Route, you could have flown JNB to Port Elizabeth or George.
I don't see how you can avoid back-tracking unless you can change your ticket to leave from CPT.

jk34jk Sep 18th, 2007 09:43 PM

airlines that fly the shorter routes seem to be
SAA Express flysaa.com
Mango airlines
Kalulu airlines

I understand there is an issue with paying with a credit card on Mango or Kalulu.

Can you change your original ticket for a small fee to make it an open jaws ticket ie into Capetown out of Jb....or whatever combo you need.

ArthurSA Sep 19th, 2007 12:06 AM

1time's website is www.1time.aero

ArthurSA Sep 19th, 2007 12:51 AM

And for the major routes, it might be worthwhile looking at BA/Comair (www.britishairways.com).

Comair is BA's local partner, and Kulula is Comair's budget arm. But depending on the timing (how far ahead you book) and what flexibility you have in scheduling, I've found that sometimes BA's rate can be better than, or equitable to, all or most of the others. Including Comair's own budget airline. That was the case when I flew Jo'burg/Durban return earlier this year.

canadian_robin Sep 29th, 2007 08:37 AM

My family of four has used Kulula twice - once on a round trip to Johannesburg from Cape Town (in 2005) and again to fly from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (in 2007). We were happy with the service on both occasions, and they offered the cheapest fares by far. Only downside is the corporate colour - lime green planes, lime green seats, lime green uniforms....yikes! Robin

allycb Sep 30th, 2007 04:54 AM

Hi Robin,
Did you book on line with a non-South African credit card? There seems to be some problem whether this can be done or not??

canadian_robin Oct 6th, 2007 11:15 AM

We booked our flights online, with either Amex or MC (can't remember which), once we arrived in South Africa. We had no difficulty getting flights, even though the trip to Joburg was at Christmas. Robin

canadian_robin Oct 14th, 2007 02:10 PM

And yes - those were Canadian credit cards! Robin