Travel Tips to Egypt

Jul 12th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Sri

Travel Tips to Egypt

Hi , My husband I are planning to visit Egypt for about a week in Jan 2002. This is our first visit to Egypt and are planning to include Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and the Suez on our iternary. we wanted to know if five days is enough to see the above places. How is the weather in egypt around Jan ? We have absolutely no clue abt the travel agencies. Can anyone suggest a good one & an approximate cost per person taking the trip thru these agencies?

Jul 12th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Pam

Sri,

According to Fodors the average temperatures in January should be:

Cairo: High 66F Low 46F
Alexandria: High 65F Low 49F
Luxor: High 73F Low 42F
Suez (by Sinai): High 75F Low 56F

The costs associated with travel really depend on what you want to do and where you want to stay. There are several good agencies out there, but most cater to a target clientele. If you want ultimate luxury go with a company like Abercrombie & Kent, If you want semi-luxury go with Gate1, if you want economy go with a company such as TravelInStyle. There are also companies that focus on truly experiencing the culture one example is Overseas Adventure Travel.

The benefit of using a tour company is that a lot of minor hassles are taken care of for you. However, if you have a little more time, I would suggest doing some of the travel on your own. My husband and I will be travelling to Egypt in February, staying at all the top notch hotels, and are going for less than half the cost quoted by most agencies.

Lastly, Where you go and determining the time needed for each location really depends on what you want to do and see.

What to Do and See:

Cairo: Egyptian Museum, Citadel, Pyramids of Giza, etc.

Alexandria: ????

Luxor: Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, etc.

Suez: The canal. (I would go to Sharm El Sheikh and enjoy some time on the Red Sea)

Many people will spend a couple of days in Cairo and then travel to Luxor for a 4 night cruise down the Nile to Aswan. The cruises include all meals, admission and guide for all ruins visited, and of course a bed to sleep on. My suggestion to you is to determine exactly what you want to do, how much you have to spend, and how long you have to stay in Egypt. A good way to get started is to pick up a travel book from Fodor's, The Lonely Planet, or the like.

Have fun!

Pam

Jul 16th, 2001, 11:22 PM
deb

I'm going in dec-jan. I need help planning to..... if pam can maybe show her travel plans and how she did them?

Search this Thread