Itinerary suggestions for June travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to put together an itinerary for a June trip to Tanzania. Our tentative dates are to arrive in Nairobi on the 21st of June & depart on the 30th of June.
I have been reading these posts for the past few weeks & I would like your expert advice.This is our first Safari & any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Day 1-3 - Tarangire National Park - Tree top lodge or the Sopa Lodge.
Question- Is three days sufficient/too much. Lodge suggestions?

Day four - Drive to Lake Manayara - Kirumuru Tented Lodge

Day 5 Serengeti - Seronera Wildlife lodge

Day 6 Serengeti - Lobo wildlife lodge

Day 7- Serengeti - Seronera Wildlife lodge

Day 8-9 - Ngorongoro Crater - Serena Lodge

Day 10 Depart for Nairobi.

We have to fly in & out of Nairobi due to our tickets.
As our time is limited, are we are trying to make the best use. Are the places & lodges the best for time of the year?
I would like some feedback on the lodges. We are still in the planning phase so we are flexible to change. We do however need to finalize this soon.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
santharamhari

I would think, substitute one of your Tarangire nights and add an additional one in the Serengeti........

I dont know if Lobo is the right place to be in June.....maybe the Western corridor? However, i'm not the best person to give out exact serengeti advice.......However, i'm pretty certain Sereonera Wildlife lodge is a great spot to be in......

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Hello Vacdrmr,

I agree with Hari -- drop a night in Tarangire and spend an additional night in the Serengeti.

What's your budget, per person, per night? That would be helpful to know in terms of making camp recommendations. Also, do you prefer tented accommodation or staying in lodges?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
sandi

One day less at Tarangire and add it to the Serengeti.

At Tarangire you've listed the Sopa and Treetops - these are like comparing apples-to-oranges. One is a lodge and mid-price, Treetops is way expensive. And it seems from the lodges/camps listed you're going mid-range.

Lobo lodge is way too far north for June. Stay in the Seronera/Central Serengeti for your three-days, or if you have a few extra dollars you may be able to get a tent at Mbuzi Mawe. MM is about an hrs. drive north of the Wildlife lodge and gives you another camping night.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Well I agree with all posters that one more night at serengeti. Well since u are going june end, I would prefer the central serengeti as Sandi said. Just be sure to have lots of milage under your belt from your outfitter so u can do a long full day drive to catch remoter areas of serengeti which may have lots of wildlife depending on the rains, Sonali.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Thanks for the Central Serengeti suggestion. We have added on another day at the Serengeti Seronera Wildlife Lodge instead of the Lobo Lodge.
The Mbuzi Mawe Tented Camp looks really nice. I will see if that can be added on after the Wildlife lodge. So it would be
Day 1-2 Tarangire Park
Day 3- Lake Manyara
Day 4-6 Seronera Wildlife lodge
Day 7- Mbuzi Mawe
Day 8-9 - Crater
Day 10- Depart for Nairobi
The accommodations were the ones suggested by the tour operator. The Tree Top lodge was added on per our request.We would like to have the experience of staying in one. We would love to stay in a combination of different types of accomodations. For most of our stay we would like to stay at mid range lodges/camps but am okay in the paying the extra for some of the stays. We do want to visit the areas that have the best game drives. We can adjust our accommodations accordingly.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Hi there, I too am off to Tanzania, on my Honeymoon on the 19th June 2006. I have left it so late, but at least I have my flight, can you say how much you are paying and who you are booking with.
I am trying to finalise my trip at the moment.
Thanks
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

We may have to move our trip up to the first week of June due to flight issues. Please let me know if I should stick to the same itinerary or make some changes. Is early June the best time to visit these places? Is the last week of June better than the first week for viewing the animals?
For the safari we are going with Good Earth. The safari without the air is $2,350. Hope we can get the camps/lodges that we want.
We also have a couple of days after our safari.Is it a good time to go to Zanzibar? Any hotel suggestions?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM

hi, did you guys already manage to get confirmations on your lodges ?