Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   travel safety-egypt&israel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/travel-safety-egypt-and-israel-17368/)

larry winn Sep 23rd, 1997 03:38 PM

travel safety-egypt&israel

Considering recent events,what is the general feeling re. travel to egypt & israel.

Simrin Sep 23rd, 1997 05:28 PM

I know it sounds cliche, but nowdays, you can get killed just about anywhere. Any conflict can flare up anywhere, anytime. I was in Israel just 3 days after the controversial elections and after the latest bombing of Lebanon by Israel. And we were in Egypt right after some Greek tourists were shot in front of the pyramids after apparently being mistaken for Israelis. We were in Cairo throughout the meeting of the League of Arab States which made everyone in the city sitting ducks. So the point is, go and enjoy yourself. If you spend all your time worrying, you'll waste your trip and drive yourself crazy. If you're not sure if a certain area is safe on a certain day, ask an official to check it for you; at least you'll have some kind of warning if it isn't. I was apprehensive too, but I didn't have any safety problems. It's a fascinating region; I hope you go and have a safe trip.

Sharon Sep 26th, 1997 06:37 PM

I just returned two weeks ago from a tour of Israel, Jordan and Egypt. Due to the reworking of our schedule, we were in Bethlehem at the time of the triple suicide bombing on Ben Yehuda Street. We arrived at our hotel (a 20 minute walk from Ben Yehuda) about two hours after the incident and we ate at a restaurant on that street, two nights later. Yet I did not feel unsafe or threatened. Perhaps living in L.A. and driving 80 miles each day on the L.A. freeways helps me keep danger in perspective. If one is aware and does not act foolishly, they are generally safe. This area of the world is so incredibly interesting and unique. No one should miss traveling there.

Paula Oct 1st, 1997 02:57 PM

Safety is always a concern in any area that you travel. You have to use your judgment on where to go - ask at your hotel for areas that are not considered "safe." Lightening doesn't usually strike twice in the same area and terrorists usually move on for a time. ALso the security in these countries definitely tightens up so that you see more of a police presence. Cairo has 16 million people so the chance of getting hurt are 16 million to 1 - you probably will hit the lottery before you are singled out by a terrorist!

JOAN Dec 21st, 1997 08:35 PM

I AM PLANINNI G A TRIP TO JORDAN AND ISERAL ON MY WAY TO BAHRAIN AND QATAR, ANY INFO ON A TRAVEL AGENCY BY THE NAME OF NEBO?, WAS COMUNICATING WITH THEM ABOUT A TOUR WHEN I ARIVE IN JORDAN. I AM INTERESTED IN AMMAN , PETRA AND JERUSALEM AND BETHLEHEM. ANYONE KNOW OF ANY GOOD TOURS??
THANKS FOR ANY INFO PROVIDED.

JOAN

Bruce Dec 22nd, 1997 07:17 AM

After just returning from the Middle East, I know first hand just how dangerous it is. VERY DANGEROUS. You people must be involved with operating tours, etc. Since anyone that did not stand to profit from travels to Egypt, Jordan, etc., would never suggest for others to go there. The police and security throughout that entire region are a joke at best. While in Jordan I was nearly killed, and several other guests at our hotel were beaten and robbed. It took the police 3 hours to respond, and then when they came, the did not even take a report. Do yourselves a favor, AVOID these areas at all cost, and if it's business related, try teleconfrence.

Karen Nations Dec 23rd, 1997 03:32 PM

My mother and I want to go to Bethlehem for Christmas 1998. Does anyone have any information on tours that are available? I don't necessary want to be tied to a tour (although that's not a big deal) but would like to have someone do the work planning the details. I would appreciate hearing about anything out there. Thanks. Merry Christmas!

Paula Dec 24th, 1997 11:36 AM

Let's not forget that the tourist or business traveler sticks out like a sore thumb in these areas. The mere fact that you are the area at all is a tip off that you have MONEY. The orice of the plane ticket alone is more than the lower class makes in many years.

Again you should stay in reputable hotels - the security in them may not be the best but it better than staying in hostels. Be aware of your surroundings - no wandering off the beaten trail in search of adventure. Use commonsense and intutition - if you feel uncomfortable DON'T do it!
Check with the hotel about unsafe areas. Take only cabs from hotels.

The Middle East is never going to be up to US standards and the fact that people run into trouble does not mean that the area should be boycotted forever.

Every major city in the world has its crime problems - dealing with a foreign city is more difficult because of the language problem. This does not mean that the country is less sensitive to probelms; sometimes our standards are not readily translated to overseas conditions.