I am planning a safari to kenya in june
thru park east. They offer insurance for
$165. I have traveled to Europe numerous
times and never gotten insurance but I wonder
if it is worth it for this trip. Any help will
be appreciated. Thanks

Feb 7th, 2000, 12:35 PM
Louise

I would recommend insurance and their insurance depending on the coverage. When we went to Kenya several years ago and had to cancel the first trip we had no insurance and lost $900 for rebooking airfares and the deposit on trip. It would have been even worse if we had not been able to give 4 months notice. We don't go anywhere without it now. Just make sure you have trip cancellation and interruption including air fare. That is a very inexpensive rate so it might not include all necessary. It should also include enough health coverage and possibly repatriation if you are from the U.S. and have to be flown back by specialized transportation in case of any extreme circumstance. We have since collected several times on insurance. Once when we had to take a helicopter to make our plane and another time when we had everything stolen including passports which were paid for. Fortunately, that is all we have needed it for but we consider it well worth it for peace of mind. Have a great trip.

Feb 17th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Rosemary

Jo, please don't even think about traveling without insurance. A couple of questions: Who offers the insurance for $165? That seems very reasonable, but you want to be sure that if it is the tour company itself, it would not cover their own 'default'. Your own medical insurance may not be good in a foreign country - medicare is not - and you want to be sure you have trip cancellation coverage and medical evacuation coverage.

I know you've never needed it before, but if you do, the expenses can wipe you out. In 1981 I read of a doctor who had a heart attack while in Tahiti. Medical facilities were not suitable for his treatment and by the time he was stabilized enough to be flown out, he couldn't get on a regularly scheduled flight, and they had to charter a plane. The cost - $50,000, and that was in 1981. I could go on, but that event made me sure I won't travel without it.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary

Feb 17th, 2000, 03:32 PM
Louise

Jo - I am the same Louise who wrote the above message. We were to leave for Egypt on Saturday but my husband's mother suffered a massive stroke and has passed away. We cannot make the trip now and it is a great comfort to know that we will not lose any money.

Search this Thread