Search

Luggage weight restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage weight restrictions

Hi guys~ I've been away for a awhile, trying to get back to REAL life. Ha ha. Actually, I've just been unfaithful to y'all Fodors, hanging out a bit (and going broke) on the Fred Miranda photo forum. Now that my bank account has been bled utterly dry, I need a favor. Can you guys direct me to the threads where you've been discussing weight limits on the airlines? Or just tell me what I'm looking at? I'll be flying United to London and Kenya Airways to Lusaka. Then a small airline to my camps whose name escapes me. Rocco will know. ANYWAY, boy does my camera pack weigh a lot. I guess my main concern is the carry on. Can anyone help?

Prayers to the miners' families,
Cooncat
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Lin

Hi cooncat. If you are using Air Waves to fly out of Lusaka, they will weigh everything carefully before you get on the plane, although I managed to keep my small backpack (containing 2 cameras) inconspicuously beneath my coat and so it didn't get included. The good thing is that Air Waves planes had propellers but were bigger than the usual bush planes, so their luggage limit was 18K rather than the usual 12k/26 pounds currently allowed on the bush planes in Zambia.

I shopped like mad to find the absolute smallest camera case for my 2 cameras and all accessories. Then I bought the lightest possible backpack (from the Rick Steves website) and stuffed in my camera case, so it didn't look like a camera case, ha ha and I could sling it over my shoulder and hope it wouldn't get noticed. It is definitely a pain!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM

I am using Robin Pope's camps and have been advised 12kg in soft bag and hand baggage not to exceed 5kg. I assume this applies to Airwaves flights to Mfuwe. I also share your concerns about weight.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Flew Airwaves Lusaka to Mfuwe past September. Flight was not quite full. I don't think they weighed baggage. I know that one couple had well over that 12kg and infact it was in semi-soft luggage with small wheels. Sooooo, guess it depends. We each had a medium size duffel bag and it was more than big enough for our stuff. And we each had a mediium size camera bag for cameras. We also took a very large box of deflated volleyballs, net, air pumps for the school at the village near Robin Pope. The kids probably used the volleyballs as soccer balls, but volleyballs (14) is what we had. Airwaves gave us no hassel about the large box because it was addressed for the school. BTW, if your at Robin Pope do go over to the village. It is interesting and the kids there are really something else.
Regards - Tom
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 03:39 AM

Hi Sharon,

Don't forget -- there's always The Vest.

If I recall correctly, your camera kit isn't that much different from mine, and mine weighs in at 6kg. You may want to put yours on a scale and see how much it weighs.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julian and thanks everyone! Yes, I can see myself walking around London in THE VEST! I'm not sure how much my bag wieghs - but that 100-400 lens is a tank - then there is the 2 camera bodies, flash, which I will probably take, another lens or two, chargers, batteries, the P-2000 and it's accoutrements... Geez. But on Airwaves, it's 12K for the main bag and 5 for the carry on? I can check with my operator as well.
Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Hi Sharon,

I don't think the 100-400 weighs much more than my 70-200 (3.45 lbs). A camera body can easily fit in the pocket of a jacket, and they're about 1 lb each...and you can attach a lens to one of them (for taking pictures out of the plane window) and lose another 1/2 lb. I think you'll make it.

I see you bought the P-2000 -- how much was it? I've resisted so far, but a lot will depend on how well I can get my iPod to work with the 20D. I don't want to lug around another piece of equipment if I don't need to, especially one which is a one-trick pony like the P-2000.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Welcome back and Happy New Year. When we flew Lusaka-Mfuwe, the limit on Airwaves was 15k,(18-20 seat plane was used) but from Mfuwe-Lower Zambezi it was 12k (4 seater). Only the carry-ons were weighed, not the backpacks which weighed more. Since the human weight limit is 220# before having to buy another seat, I'm well under that so didn't worry about carrying on extra weight in my backpack. Glad to see you back!!! Aloha, Dennis