Search

Travel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance

I would welcome opinions on 1) Is travel insurance really necessary and 2) If so, is it possible to obtain if we are planning our trip without any travel agents ? We will be travelling in Namibia, Botswanna, and Zambia. As always, thank you for your continued assistance and suggestions -
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
ECS

I just returned from Morocco and I did purchase travel insurance. I did not have any problems which required me to use it, however, I think it's a good idea if you're travelling to Africa in case of medical problems (like if you need to be flown out of there etc...). I used Travel Plus (TravelEx Insurance) and the plan was pretty comprehensive. I would inquire with them.

BTW-I see your email is capecod.net. I grew up in East Orleans. Have a great trip!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM

I would strongly recommend a good travel insurance policy.

Even if you can afford to lose the cost of the trip itself should there be an emergency reason to cancel (or curtail during the trip) and even if you are happy not to get compensation for stolen, lost or damaged luggage you really need to consider the medical cover a policy will give you including treatment costs, the costs of hospital accommodation etc and even emergency repatriation.

For that alone, I'd recommend a policy.

I bought am joint annual policy for my husband and I on the internet for around £100 GPB - cant recall exact price.

As a % of the trip overall... it's worth it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
sandi

Even if not using a travel agent, if you have prepaid for airline tickets, hotels, transfers, automobile, tours, etc. - those can be covered. If you will be paying some of these on site, you should still be covered.

There are various policies offered by many of the major insurers. Check:

www.insuremytrip.com

and compare what these companies have to offer. For serious consideration, especially, in Africa is medical coverage as what you have at home is not likely to cover overseas. And if the worst occurs and you have to be transfered home, the "Evacuation" coverage is most important and can set you back in excess of $30K, more likely $50K at minimum that you'd have to pay yourself, if not insured.

But anything can happen anywhere you travel, even Western Europe which might not seem all that exotic, but a slip causing a broken leg can incur the need of more than one seat on a flight home.

On average trip there is cancel/interruption, which can include flight delays, bagage delays/loss, medical/dental costs, car rental insurance, evacuation and even repatriating a "body" are covered with these plans. They cost about $6/per $100 the cost of the trip. But do check the above site and see for yourself the offerings available.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful responses, time to hit the internet and start researching the various options.

ECS - It's a small world, I live in Harwich port, we are off tommorrow to Charleston, then on to Harbor Island, Bahamas. Rain, rain, then more rain here, can't wait to see the sun !!

Sandi and Kavey, you have me convinced, and I will statt with the site you recommended Sandi -

Cheers-