travel in Nov/Dec

Aug 9th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

travel in Nov/Dec

I hear that travelling in Nov/Dec is not the best time to see wildlife in Namibia and that some parks are closed. I am looking for suggestions of where to to to see for wildlife and scenery at that time of the year.
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:07 AM
sandi

November is kind of a shoulder season when new prices for the coming year go into effect. Also November starts the beginning of the "very Hot" season. I don't know of parks being closed, but the weather changes. December is kind of business because locals have holiday and for foreign travelers it's Christmas/New Years so places are kind of busy. It's not that you won't see wildlife, but animals are smart enough to stay out of the burning heat of the sun. But Etosha should be fine.

Otherwise, try SA, Zimbabwe, Zambia or Botswana, though here too expect hot and humid and some rain.

We've always traveled to Africa in November and have never been disappointed, so it depends on what you expect to see and what you actually get to see. As far as animals are concerned - no guarantees.

Aug 10th, 2004, 01:25 AM

I believe the only park that's closed in Dec is the Fish River Canyon because it's just too hot. The canyon is normally only open for hiking from around May thru Sept. The rest of the parks should all be open and in fact November is a great time to visit because it's the very beginning of the rainy season, so you should easily still see a lot of game, and it's a bit 'off season' so there won't be too many people here. It's also a great time to go to Caprivi in the north which has fantastic birdlife as well as game.
Aug 11th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I'm happy to get all the advice/suggestion I can.

Search this Thread