Reload this Page >

getting from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Barb

We'll be staying with friends in Tel Aviv, but we're planning to go to jerusalem for a few days. What is the best way to get there and back? I've heard that public buses aren't safe.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 09:33 PM
Angela

Barb <BR>Public buses are relatively safe. I never had any problems. Another option is a shared taxi (sherut), which are small vans carrying about 6-9 passengers. They are quick and comfortable and leave as soon as they are full. They fill up so quickly and I never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes if that. <BR>Finally although Israel has very few railway lines it does have a particularly beautiful stretch of railway from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, but this option takes two hours whereas the sherut and bus takes one hour. <BR>Whatever option you choose in Israel it is never going to be as safe as in Europe/US (as far as terrorism goes) but as I said I never had any problems and travelled this route regularly (I lived there for one year. <BR>Angela

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:52 AM
Judy

Just to add to Angela's posting. Sheruts are fairly inexpensive -- they were about $10 each way in March, 2000.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:19 AM
ANOTHER TRAVELER

Where do you find the sherots?, ie how to pick up? The bus station, or?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Angela

In Jerusalem the sheruts could be picked up just opposite the bus station on the other side of the road. I THINK it was the same in Tel Aviv (I'm so sorry but I can't quite remember, perhaps someone else can help) There are other stops though and anyone you ask will be able to tell you where the nearest pick up point is. The sherut driver will often drop you off where you want providing it is somewhere along the route he is taking.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 01:53 PM
amik

Barb, <BR>As an Israeli (living in the US), I can assure you that there is no problem wahtsoever taking the bus (Egged), not only to Jerusalem but ANYWHERE in the country. They are modern, safe, convenient and fast (40-45 minutes). They leave every 5-10 minutes. I used to be a student in Jerusalem, and took that road many many times. <BR>Yes, there is a train, quite slow, and not too frequent. <BR>As to Sherut taxis, they are OK. I'd take the bus, though. <BR>Amik.