travel from victoria falls to cape town?

Oct 10th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

travel from victoria falls to cape town?

Hi
We have booked ourselves on a tour that finishes at victoria falls. We will then have to make our own way to cape town. Is the only way to do this by aeroplane? Are there any overnight trains or buses?

I also read in a guide book that whale season was from July to Aug, but read on one of the forum messages that there are no whales around the time of july. The reason we will be in cape town in july is to see the whales and go shark diving. Could anyone shed some light into whether we will be able to do this?

Your help would be appreciated.
Mel

Oct 10th, 2004, 06:55 PM

Hello Mel,

>>>>>>Are there any overnight trains or buses [from Vic Falls to Cape Town]?<<<<<<

Really your best bet would be to fly.

From some Internet searching, I gather a regular train from Victoria Falls to Bulawayo takes 12 hours. Then you'd have to change trains from Bulwayo to Johannesburg (a journey of 13 hours or so), then change trains again from Johannesburg to Cape Town (a journey in the region of 28 - 30 hours). Add to that whatever waiting time is involved in Bulawayo and Johannesburg.

There are a couple of luxury rail companies in Southern Africa. One of them is Rovo Rails, and the other is the Blue Train. Rovo Rails offers a so-called Victoria Falls to Cape Town trip, which actually involves flying you from Vic Falls to Pietersburg, South Africa, where you meet the train for Cape Town. I don't know how long the trip takes, but it costs upwards of 1,360 Euros per person.

The Blue Train seems to offer a trip from Vic Falls to Pretoria, and then a separate trip from Pretoria to Cape Town. Again, I don't know how long the whole journey would take. I also haven't looked into the fare, but it undoubtedly would be right up there in the stratosphere.

I haven't done a search regarding buses, but I imagine you can see where I'm going with this. Unless you're on a very leisurely trip and have oodles of time, getting from Vic Falls to Cape Town by land is a non-starter.

>>>>>>I also read in a guide book that whale season was from July to Aug, but read on one of the forum messages that there are no whales around the time of july.<<<<<<

I too saw that information, and I believe it was mistaken. The whale season is from June through November, with whale sightings being fewer at both ends of the season. I believe whale sightings should be plentiful enough for you in July.

As to the guidebook's claim, the whale season is by no means limited to July and August. Were that the case, the town of Hermanus would not be having its annual whale festival from 23rd to 26th September 2004.

I have not done shark diving. For what it's worth, I read on a website that the best time periods for shark diving were as follows:

Mosselbaai (or Mossel Bay) - April to July and September to November

Gansbaai - April to September

Of the two places, Gansbaai is the closer to Cape Town.

Hope that helps.
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. Your a real gem.

Search this Thread