Search

Southern African Game Camps

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 1998, 08:00 PM
Andrew

Southern African Game Camps

My wife and I are trying to plan a safari in SA or Botswana around this coming Christmastime. It is somewhat last minute, but the opportunity to be in SA on business has come up suddenly, and we would like to take advantage. The problem is the cost -- the cheapest places are coming in at R1,750 per person/per day (or about $275). Is this normal cost for this time of year, or are we begin pegged with added charges for the lateness? Also, any recommendations of camps would be appreciated.

Old Nov 2nd, 1998, 08:12 PM
Bruce

My wife and I used Ker and Downey during our trip to Botswana and South Africa two summers ago. They have some some great camps in Botswana. Our favorite was Shindi. While none of them are inexpensive, you have to consider the cost of flying in food and supplies due to the remoteness. This remoteness also gives these places their charm. They are first class operations and I definitely thought we got good value for our money. We stayed at three different Ker and Downey camps in Botswana as well as Tongabezi camp in Zambia near Victoria Falls. It was probably the best trip we've ever taken and we've done a considerable amount of traveling. There are also some great camps in S.A. in and around Kruger. While I researched them, time didn't allow us to visit any of them. Heard some great things about Londolozi. If you get the opportunity to see Cape Town, DO IT!! It is a beautiful city. We hired a driver to take us around the cape area including a few of the wineries. Once again, so much to see, so little time. I'd be glad to help you with any questions you might have. I hope to go back to Southern Africa again.

Old Nov 5th, 1998, 05:21 AM
Neil

Price sounds about right to me I'm afraid ! I'm not an Africa expert but one of my best friends is an travel writer and journalist who has written extensively on the region and now runs a small business sending people into camps in Southern Africa. Drop me a line if you want his e:mail address. I'm sure he'd be happy to advise <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Alex Bourne

I am also planning a SA trip and while doing some research, I posted a question at the Thorn Tree Forum at lonelyplanet.com <BR>that forum is very active and you get lots of answers. <BR>I got a response from someone recommending a company called Bundu Buz in South Africa, you can book it through the web and cost something around 1000 Rand for a 4 day camping Kruger trip. There was also another company called the Big 5 in South Africa that offer a 4 day trip to a private game reserve next to Kruger for about 2000 Rand (about 350 US) I couldn't find my exact notes, but we decided on booking it from a South African company instead of a local US company. <BR> <BR>Also, a couple of friends went to Tanzania and by booking the safari while they were there, they paid about half of what it would cost to book it from the US. <BR> <BR> <BR>Alex

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 04:54 PM
Audrey

We were in S.A. and Zimbabwe in August. Hwange Game Preserve has some very nice cammps that aren't too pricey. You can fly into Hwange from Harare. Its between Vic Falls and Bulawayo. We stayed at Lloyds' Camp in Botswana. The camp was more primitive than most but the herds of elephants made up for the shortage of luxury. You can book Lloyds through any Tour Operator. <BR>