Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Inflatable pillow or something for game drives?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it advisable to bring some type of padding for derriere on game drives? As with so many of us, I have a bad back that will be aggravated on bumpy roads. Any suggestions to minimize discomfort? Thanks.

Karen
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Hubby Jim has a bad back, both years we went he brought along a Magellan inflatable seat cushion & he said it was wonderful - sometimes he sat on it, sometimes he used it as a support against his lower back. It's self inflating, and comes in a carry bag, and it's lightweight to pack.

One person once posted that an inflatable neck pillow did the trick for her, which I thought was rather brilliant! But as Jim had the Magellan's pillow, he never tried that.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM

Hi Karen,

I took an inflatable neck pillow along. It turns out that I never needed it for the plane trips but it sure saved my lower back on the long, bumpy safari drives!

My back had been bothering me for a couple of days when I finally remembered I had the dang thing. My lower back discomfort was gone almost immediately after I started using it

Have a great trip!

-doo
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM

I've used several self-inflating "Relax the Back" pillows to save my lower back, and they work great, both on the plane and in the vehicles. Search for "self inflating back rest" at www.relaxtheback.com
You squeeze the air out when not is use and it rolls up into nothing. But be careful you don't leave them behind on the jet or on the seat. I'm always forgetting them on the jet or car seat, and they ain't cheap!
Leslie
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies LyndaS, doohickey and LAleslie. My husband thought an inflatable pillow would be too hard, glad he was wrong. Easily enough to obtain one. Thank you again!

Karen