Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Travel Companion May Have To Cancel- I'm Panicking!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Fellow Fodorites,

I just found out I may have to take my trip alone. My friend has been sick with an inner ear infection for about a week and isn't getting any better. We are supposed to leave on Saturday! I know many of you travel alone regularly, but I'm not an experienced traveller(my only need for a passport has been my 1st trip to Africa in 2003.) We (or rather I)am going on a 10 day mobile tent safari with GameTrails in Botswana. There will be a max of 9 in our group(I guess it will be 8 of us now)
What if no one else speaks English? What if I have to share a teeeeeeny tent with someone I don't know? What if I "pull an Imelda" and do something like get off in the wrong country!(Sorry Imelda, those things are always funny when they happen to other people.)I'm terrible at "small talk" and am not terribly social in unfamiliar settings. Etc Etc Etc.
I guess I just need to hear that all will be fine and I'll have a wonderful time since no one can have a bad time on safari. So how do all you folks who travel alone manage?
Lily
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Lily - do not fear, I am sure you will have a blast. I always thought I was rather introverted but found I love traveling on my own. I have a tendency to be much more outgoing by myself although I would rather be with a group than completely by myself. I found with a traveling companion I did not need to be outgoing but without I become much friendlier. Don't worry, everything will be fine.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM

At this late stage your friend will be unlikely to get a refund from your tour operator (though her travel insurance should ensure she's not out of pocket). That means that, as far as the tour operator is concerned, you and your friend paid for a tent for two and that tent for two is yours and yours alone. I can't imagine you'll have to share.

If you're worried about languages spoken give them a call, confirm my above thought on accommodation and ask if they can let you know the nationalities, ages and groupings of the other travellers in the group - you may find other English speakers, other single travellers and some potentially great new friends.

I can imagine that it must be awfully daunting but you're travelling with an operator rather than independently which means an experienced tour manager/ guide and the company of fellow travellers!

You'll have a great time!

PS Commiserations to your friend - hope she feels better soon.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM

She who has no fear of sticking her hand into a scared animals mouth should fare well - that would be you, Lily.

I travelled as a solo female around all continents (minus Antartica) for years and wouldn't give up any of those precious memories for anything.

You will be amazed at the instant comraderie you will gain by being with those with similar interests. Most people around the world and I expect Botswana as well, will have at least some grasp of English. If not, most are willing to use sign language etc. which can be a hoot. I think you'll be amazed at the stuff we all have in common. What a cool adventure you'll experience!

Keep your eyes open, ask questions and you'll get where you need to, if you get diverted, just get back on track -no harm done as life continues.

The kindness of strangers is Universal.

Also, the beauty of going it alone means you can be what you want to be i.e. quiet, talkative, go where you want with no qualifying or compromising - lots of folks would envy that. You can even be a crazy fool - who cares!

Go and saviour this unique opportunity!
Best of travels;
Sherry
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I tend to think you've just been given you a unique gift, meant just for you. I bet you have the best trip of your life.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Lily, I hope your friend gets well enough to go on the safari. It will be a shame if your friend can't go but you will have fun either way. I was solo on a mobile tent safari with Gametrails in oct05. Iwas with a was group of 6 and I only knew one of the others. I was the only female so I had a tent to myself (but had to share a toilet tent and shower tent with the others). I loved every minute of every day and you will too. You can be sure the guide speaks English even if no one else does and you will quickly become friends with everyone there. So don't worry. Just go and plan on having a great time and you will.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Your kind words have me in tears! I'm still hoping my friend gets well enough to go. She works in a hospital so has plenty of contacts and she still has 5 more days to get better. But in case she doesn't, I know I'll have a wonderful time...it will just be different than what I expected.
Thanks again
Lily
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Lily,
Keep us posted, I'm holding my breath for your friend's recovery. Either way, you will have a fabulous time, but can certainly understand your concerns.
Again....let us know how your friend is coming along.
Teri
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM

You will have the most amazing time with or without your friend - but please do think what you are saying - "maybe there will be nobody that speaks English" (American of course in your case).

I invite you to consider what it must be like for solo travellers who don't speak English as a first language. I've travelled with plenty - Japanese, Croatian, French, etc. etc.

And my respect goes out to them. I have also been in a group - embarrassing - a German couple, a French couple - they could have conversed in either language - but there was me - and so we all spoke English.

Very humbling.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Lily,
Please don't be afraid to go it alone in the event that your friend can't go. And don't be afraid of 'Pulling an Imelda' on it. My experience was one of those you won't come across too often and now that it has happened to me the chances of something like that happening to you are practically 0 (remember forewarned is forearmed!). Also, the one thing I learnt from my experience is that, no matter what happens, there is a solution to everything and everything is fixable. If the worst had come to the worst and we had ended up missing that plane to Rwanda we could have done two things - either fly back to Nairobi or hire someone to take us to Rwanda... not the most convenient but a solution.... see, not the end of the world.

I do hope your friend recovers in time to be able to travel but PLEASE PLEASE don't stress over going it alone, I'm sure you will have an AMAZING time!

Imelda
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Let us know if your friend gets better and can go. We're pulling for her! If she doesn't, I'm sure you'll do fine. You might check with GameTrails and find out where the other travelers are from. I'm sure they wouldn't mind letting you know if they are Americans, French, etc.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Lily,
I hope your friend gets better in time for your trip, but if she doesn't, fear not. You will have a wonderful time. I recently took two small group safaris as a solo and enjoyed every minute. I found the guides to be a bit extra attentive to me, as a solo traveler.
I like the way Clematis put it - this is a unique gift for you and it probably will turn out to be the best trip of your life. Enjoy.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I went to Morocco alone last year becuase I wanted just that. . . to be alone. But, half way through I signed up for a tour to the Sahara with 13 other people. We had a blast! It was one of the highlights of the trip. We got along so well that back in Marrakech, we all went to Essouira together (all 14 of us, indeed). You just never know what or who you are going to find, but definitely go forward courageously and know that they are out there.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I usually post on the Europe board but lurk here...my wish to one day go to Africa. But to the subject at hand. I am very introverted and always have been. But, I have a business where I have to have contact with the public and talk on a daily basis with people I don't know and I have no problem with that. I also think in your circumstances you won't have a problem because you are with people who right off the bat have common interests with you. I think there will be a lot of conversation about what goes on each day and you won't really have to worry about small talk. I wish you well and at the same time certainly do hope your friend is well and can travel with you in the end.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

I have an update on my friend. She saw her doctor yesterday and we now have a "definite maybe!"
Thanks for all your positive comments! It has really meant a lot to me.
I'll keep you posted!
Lily
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM

That's great news! Keeping fingers crossed!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
bat

with kavey-fingers crossed
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Lily,
How is your friend? My fingers remain crossed for both of you!
Teri
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Lily,

Don't worry. What are the odds you'll end up in Burundi?

I have my fingers crossed (with Kavey and bat and others that's a lot of fingers) for you and your friend.

Please enjoy your, holiday whether with your friend or solo. I am already looking forward to the trip report--and photos!

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

WE ARE CLEARED FOR TAKE OFF-LET'S LIGHT THIS CANDLE!!!!
When I got home from work last nite I had a message on my answering machine from my friend Linda...she was squealing with delight... I'm going to Africa! I'm going to Africa!"
I'll drive to her place in Chicago today and our flight leaves at 6 am tomorrow!

Thanks so much for all your positive words of encouragement. I'll have a trip report when I get home!

Lily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -