Travel book - any interest?

Aug 27th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Susan

Travel book - any interest?

A question for the Fodors.com readers ... any interest in reading a book about travel to Africa by someone not in the travel business, but is realizing a dream come true by going on a 17-day safari? A writer by profession, several friends have suggested I write a book about my trip preparation, why I wanted to go to East Africa in the first place, what I see, people we meet, etc. Brushed the suggestions off at first, but seeing how few books there are about travel to East Africa, started giving it some thought. What do you think? Should someone give it a go and write a book about something they have dreamed about since they were four-years-old? What would you want to read in a trip-to-East Africa book? As always, comments and/or suggestions greatly appreciated from Fodors.com users.

Aug 27th, 2002, 11:00 AM
kavey

I'm always interested, but I have to say that there are (in my mind) a few truly excellent, and readable, travel writers out there, a lot of so-so ones who manage to get publishing deals anyway, because travel writing is in demand right now, and a number of awful ones.

If you are a warm and witty writer and can express a range of emotions and experiences within your writing then please go ahead, and let us know when the book is out!

(I'd love to do what you're thinking about too, but realistically I am not good enough)

GOOD LUCK!

Kavey

Sep 14th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Gloria Reading

Absolutely do this ... You'll never regret writing ... You may regret NOT writing ... Be sure to let us know when you're published.

Sep 15th, 2002, 02:14 AM
jen

Hi Susan, go for it...
I would be far more interested in a book with plenty of historical, cultural & political background than a tale of someone else's trip planning & safari. Unless, that is, you are an extremely funny writer.

Search this Thread