Travel Alert!

Jul 10th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Travel Alert!

My wife and I are scheduled to leave on a 12 day trip to Kenya and Zanzibar around the middle of September. I just read a travel advisory issued 7-1-05 on the State Departments WEB site that "strongly advises" that travel to Kenya be avoided. Should we be concerned? Should we cancel? We both have traveled alot in Europe and I am always aware of my surroundings. But this has me a little worried in light of what just happened in London. This is my first trip to Africa and I need some advice. Thanks.
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:58 AM

This same topic was discussed last week. You can find opinions here -

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34644897
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Tim- see this series of posts!http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...s=20&start=100
Jul 10th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Tim10x,
I'm hoping that someone who has recently been to Kenya will advise you, but until then, consider checking other countrys' travel advisories, such as those from the UK Foreign Office and from Australia:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1007029390572

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

Sometimes these will have more specific information than the US Gov't postings, and can help you to make a more informed decision. Then consider whether your concerns will outweigh your enjoyment of your trip and act accordingly.

Good luck!
Jul 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
sandi

tim10x -

But, did the US State Department also have a travel warning about London? or Cassablanca, or Madrid, or Bali, or........

Pick a place... anything can happen anywhere.

Apparently the US has this itch about Kenya (and not Tanzania???) and won't let it go.

Go on your trip and enjoy.

Jul 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM

The US State Department did post & email a warning about the bombings & their effect upon travel & the services of the US Embassy. It's still up there. But it doesn't warn against traveling there.
Jul 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Tim,
I had the same concerns and began the string of posts last week dealing with the same topic. I posted on a few other travel sites and got an almost identical response. To be honest, in all of the web-sites that a requested advice I probably had 30 opinions of the "No where is safe-just stay on your gaurd" and only 1 opinion that I was perhaps too paranoid of a person to travel to Africa in the first place.(I am worry often and am quite paranoid!)
Jul 12th, 2005, 05:25 PM

tim10x

In my mind I am not sure how much the advisories are being posted because of terrorism or other things going on in the country.

If you read the Daily Nation online today 53 natives including school children were just butchered north of Marsabit by armed bandits. Also the government is moving hundreds of squatters out of the Mau forest in the Rift Valley area and this too MIGHT escalate. None of the situations though are aimed at tourists.

One must stop and think though that even with something as simple as a minor traffic accident, help isn't as readily available anywhere in Africa as you might find at home. Friends of mine in Kenya can't believe that if we pick up our telephones and dial 911 that police, fire and ambulance will show up usually within 3 - 5 minutes. The infrastructure to respond to emergencies just isn't there in Africa.

None of this is keeping me from leaving in two and a half weeks for an eighteen day Kenyan safari. As with anywhere these days, one just has to be aware of what is going on around you.

Jan

Search this Thread