Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   travel agent needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/travel-agent-needed-313344/)

mpkp Feb 28th, 2008 05:18 PM

travel agent needed

I truly am at a loss as I have never used a travel agent before. I think, that for this trip, I will need one.

We fly into Capetown Nov 14. We would like to spend about 12 nights in Namibia going there on the 15th. On the 27th we have thought about going to Phinda for 2-3 nights and then on to Sabi Sands for 2-3 nights ( we would have 5 nights to divide up here) Probably stay with CC Africa here because they give 1 night free with 3 paid nights and that would help a lot.

On Dec 2 we need to go back to Cape town as we return home on Dec 3. I do not want to push it by getting to Capetown on the 3rd and miss the flight home so I would like that night there.

Cardboard Box that has been noted here operates only in Namibia. I would prefer to use one agent who could handle the in country arrangements for both countries.

So, please, if you have an agent that has worked on your behalf -- please let me know.

Thanks

matnikstym Feb 28th, 2008 05:43 PM

I've used www.timelessafrica.com and would recommend them 100%

P.S. You're probably going to get a lot of arguments about using big vs.small agents, new vs.old agents, U.S. agents vs. Africa agents etc. etc. Contact them all and deal with who you feel comfortable with.

ekscrunchy Feb 28th, 2008 05:55 PM

www.southerndestinations.com

They planned a great trip for me last fall. They are based in Capetown and plan travel in both Namibia and SA.

thit_cho Feb 28th, 2008 06:20 PM

I understand the appeal in working with one agent, but if you decide to split, I can recommend Cardboard Box (although my recommendation is based on a trip planned six years ago, but they were very helpful and responsive). But, as you allude, I don't think they book South Africa.

HariS Feb 28th, 2008 07:13 PM

mpkp,

If you are staying at the CCAfrica lodges, you can book direct with them.

I booked a CCA trip with them one time - fantastic service all round. I would deal only with reputed agents. I think they are more likely to come through in a crisis than most fly by night operations.

joelbra Feb 28th, 2008 09:21 PM

After months researching a trip on my own, I decided to go with www.RhinoAfrica.com and am very, very happy with the itinerary they put together.

I used to travel internationally 9 months of the year and booked all of my own travel. I've always resisted using a travel agent, but am glad I did so in this case. The trip isn't for another 10 days, but I can already see the value in having their experience.

I can't tell you how their prices compare, but I can tell you they delivered a quality itinerary that was far better than what I could do.

mpkp Mar 17th, 2008 03:47 AM

Thank you all -- I did contact 3 of the agencies mentioned. Southern Destinations was very nice but did not come back with the itinerary I initially asked for and did not pay attention to my lodging preferences.

Timeless Africa was very prompt to respond to queries but came back about $5,000 more than my final choice.

Rhino Africa has been very helpful and good through the experience so far. Joelbra I would like to know how your trip went. Leigh Ann -- the person I am working with initially came back with the itinerary I asked for. We did not do this itinerary -- or anywhere close.

After a lot of thought, we decided to fly between camps in Namibia. Very expensive --yes! But it made the best use of our limited time and we did not look forward to driving 4-6 hours every other day which is what we would have had to do.

We were going to do the Wilderness Safari Best of Namibia Wing Safari but we really wanted to stop at Okanjima and it was full at the end of the tour. So she reworked the order of the camps and was able to get us in all of them. We gave up the two flightseeing rides and the stop in Swapkomund on the tour but we get to go to Okanjima and we will stay at Desert Rhino Camp -- which we preferred to Damaraland. So there were some compromises but I think the itinerar worked out well. We also saved about $1,000 by not doing the tour.