Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Travel agency/safari company to help plan Namibia/Zambia trip

Travel agency/safari company to help plan Namibia/Zambia trip

May 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
adeewebstr

Travel agency/safari company to help plan Namibia/Zambia trip

We're in the US and are starting to plan a trip to Namibia and Victoria Falls (Zambian side) in June of 2006 (yes, I know it's early - but, to me, part of the fun is gathering information and mapping out trips - and Fodorites are a GREAT resource). I've come across some great lists of websites - one is really extensive - about different companies websites to check out for itinerary ideas, BUT is there a particular company you would recommend? I want someone who can recommend a range of accomodations and really knows the countries. We do not want a group tour, but we would probably like to do a few nights of "guided" camping - where you help with tents, meals, etc. but you're not on your own. We have 3 teens, so it won't be all game drives - Swakopmund sandboarding, etc. will be a part of it. I have heard good things about Cardboard Box.

May 9th, 2005, 10:15 PM

I've been organising our 2 week honeymoon in Namibia through Cardboard Box, after reading recommendations on this board. So far they have been excellent - really helpful in designing the itinerary, answering my questions, making suggestions, etc. We leave on the 22nd May and I can't wait!
May 10th, 2005, 06:18 AM
adeewebstr

Thanks. Out of curiosity, where are you going? There is so much I want to see, plus we want to take the boys to Victoria Falls - so I'm going to have to do some cutting. Congratulations and have fun!

May 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM

We are arriving at Windhoek and driving to Okonjima for 2 nights, followed by 3 nights at Etosha (2 inside the park and one at Ongava lodge), then returning to Windhoek where we're staying at Olive Grove guesthouse for a night. Then flying to Impalila Island Lodge for 4 nights, including a day drip organised by the lodge to Vic Falls. (we'd originally hoped to stay at Lianshulu but it was fully booked). Then return to Windhoek for a night, and then flying to Sossusvlei for 2 nights at Little Kulala.
We've gone for quite upscale accommodation - much more luxurious than i would usually choose, but hey, it is our honeymoon
May 10th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Within Namibia, I have also had good experience with Cardboard Box (they booked lodging for me within Etosha), but for a two country trip with airfare (which will happen since you're also going to Vic Falls), you may want to contact a South Africa-based operator. I have had very good results with Mark at Taga Safaris, with whom I planned and booked two trips. It may be worth sending him an email (you can find his site from google). Have a great time.

Michael
May 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM

www.tagasafaris.co.za
May 15th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Lin

My vote goes to Nicky and James at Eyes on Africa (www.eyesonafrica.net). I'm in good company because the National Geographic Traveler Magazine agrees they are the most knowledgable regional expert for Southern Africa safaris. Their website is terrific, at least look at it!
May 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Lin,

As far as National Geographic's selection of tour operators go, I am not very impressed. Last year I highlighted on this board how the National Geographic Society was doing its tour(s) through a company that also had a trophy hunting division. Despite my protest, National Geographic stuck with this company for its tour rather than switching
May 16th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Lin

Rocco, Yes I thought you might mention that, you had told me about it before and I don't blame you for your feelings. I don't know the details about the 'tour' - perhaps there was a contract in place before your protest came to light. At any rate I would think that NG would make sure the next recommended company was 'clean' - and Eyes on Africa make it clear they are totally against hunting in Africa. Either way this should not be taken as a reflection on Eyes on Africa, who do a fantastic job and are very knowledgable.
May 16th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I would highly recommend chameleon safaris. We traveled with them from Windhoek to Victoria Falls over a 7 day safari. It is a budget safari and it was one of the best trips I have taken. Check out their web site.
http://www.chameleonsafaris.com

Have fun,
Anat

Search this Thread