Travel agency Geckos Adventures

Oct 17th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Travel agency Geckos Adventures

Any one have traveled with this company (Geckos Adventures)?
They have an impressive trip over Namibia/Botswana/South Africa for 1600€ and 28 days long.
Any travel agency recomendation for a botswana safari?

Oct 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Hello,

I haven't travelled with Geckos Adventures, but based on their website (www.geckosadventures.com) they are a budget company. In the UK their tours are mainly sold through student travel agencies.

Exactly which tour are you considering? It sounds like either Southern Heartbeat or Southern Safari, though both of those include Zimbabwe as well as SA/Bots/Namibia.

What is your budget?

Personally, I prefer to visit one country in one trip. You could easily spend a month in SA alone (I did, and there was plenty I didn't see). Trying to see too many countries in one go can mean a lot of time and money wasted in transfers -- focusing on one area may be more cost-effective as well as giving you a more in-depth view of the country you choose.

I'm not sure where you're based, but Eyes on Africa (www.eyesonafrica.net) has arrange several Botswana trips for me -- the service has been wonderful and the pricing very competitive. EOA is in Chicago, but they will work with people from all over the world (I'm in the UK).

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm from spain,
and I'm looking at the Southern Heartbeat Safari.

My budget is around 3000€, with fly.
I want to go there in my Honeymoon.

Maybe I should go to Kenya/Tanzania as it looks less expensive?
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Hi Vertex,

Is that budget per person, or for both of you? 3000 Euros is about $3609 USD (most safari destinations are costed in dollars), so it it's per person you should certainly be able to get a nice honeymoon for that amount of money.

How long to you want to go? Essentially, the trade-off is time and money -- you can spend a bit more per day and have a nicer (but shorter) trip, or spend a bit less per day and have a longer (but more basic) trip.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a group budget trip for my honeymoon. You'll be travelling with a lot of other people, many of whom will probably be British students -- not exactly romantic. You'll also be doing some pretty basic camping -- is your spouse-to-be all right with that?

When do you plan to travel? Each country has its high, shouler, and low seasons, which will influence the pricing. Is there anything you particularly want to see or experience? Each country has its unique draws -- Botswana has the Delta, South Africa has Table Mountiain and the Sabi Sands, Kenya and Tanzania have the Great Migration.

Kenya and Tanzania are not the bargain they once were, unfortunately, and during the high season can be quite expensive -- but still less expensive than Botswana, which is probably the single most expensive country -- a week in Botswana in the shoulder season (June) will run about $4,000, though it is possible to bring that down a bit.

Do you want an all-safari trip, or do you want to mix safari with other activities? If budget is a concern and you want to mix safari and other activities, I'd suggest South Africa -- the exchange rate makes the prices very reasonable, and you can self-drive in many areas which means you can tailor the trip to your interests.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread