Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice for what kind of jacket (Botswana + CPT in June)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are stopping in Amsterdam, going to Cape Town, and also to Botswana in June. I can't figure out what type of jacket would be best... I've read about fleece jackets and am considering that. But the fleece jacket under or over the safari vest sounds very bulky and it seems underdressed for Cape Town and Amsterdam. Or with the safari vest and a few layers and gloves -- will we not need a real jacket? Thanks for any help
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
santharamhari

It is going to be very cold during your early morning drives and also in the evening after the sun goes down. You do need a thick jacket and gloves......

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I was hoping maybe several layers and the photo vest would work....but guess not Is fleece the best bet then?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
santharamhari

I'd even take a thick winter jacket.....imagine being out in an open jeep with temps being somewhere in the low 40's farenheit with some winds at times......

I can only quote Harry, camp manager at Lebala,"Come prepared like you would be going on a ski holiday"

Hari

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

I took a medium weight gortex jacket, and a fleece. Keep in mind it's the rainy season in Cape Town.

You want something that's easily washable and dries quickly as the jacket gets very dirty very fast on game drives. I ended up wearing the gortex almost exclusively, the fleece only in camp. It cut the wind a lot better and the hood really helped with the cold.

Usually I also put the poncho on for part of the drive. It's very comfy and again protects against the wind and dust.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM

In Botswana last July I had on a T-shirt, fleece and my thick safari jacket which is very warm. In addition I needed gloves, scarf and a beanie. One morning at Mombo was unbelievably cold.
DW has similar with a hat that pulls over the ears.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips -- I'll figure out something heavier than I was planning before ;-)
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:48 AM
santharamhari

I guess the important thing is to dress in layers.....later on when the sun comes out u may get warmer and can peel a couple of layers off...

Have a great trip

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

napamatt -- "thick safari jacket" -- what kind of jacket did you have? I guess the photo vest is only for 'good weather' days? If you need a heavy coat....do we have to worry about it being tan/brown/khaki also? Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM

My jacket was purchased at Mala Mala, about the only clothes shopping I do these days at various camps in Soiuthern Africa. It is tan with a thick fleece lining. Made big so it fits over layers and very warm. I wouldn't worry about color that much, particularly in winter. The main issue with khaki clothing is that the dust doesn't show so bad, which In Bots is a plus.

I would invest in plastic safety glasses to protect your eyes from both dust and bugs, particularly at night.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Hello,

Instead of one thick jacket, I go with layers -- a lightweight sleeveless cashmere sweater under a fleece under an old beat-up cotton canvas J Crew barn jacket (this one is on its last legs -- the various rips and tears from encounters with thorns in the bush which have been repaired at various camps are finally taking their toll, so I'm currently searching for a replacement).

In general, you need both a warming layer and a wind-blocking layer for when the vehicles are moving.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Hello,

Forgot to mention that gloves, scarf, and a safari hat are also necessities. Warm socks and one of those fleece things that go around your ears to keep them warm can be helpful.

However, don't forget that 'cold' is all relative - I was sitting comfortably in shirt sleeves in Botswana in June (mid 70s F) while my guide was bundled up in a fleece and scarf.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips Told my husband we are going to put on our layers (and hats, gloves, etc.) and go sit outside for and hour or two one night when it's cold and 'practice' so we know how warm we'll be ;-)
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
bat

ALadyNCal:
When in June will you be in Botswana? I have been considering Bots for a June 07 trip but all of this cold weather talk is dissuading me.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Bat -- we will be there the middle of June. It think having chilly mornings and evenings is easier to cope with than super hot weather. But, the bottom line is probably 'go whenever you can'
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Do most camps have shops that sell safari jackets like the one Napamatt mentioned? That sounds ideal. Or does anyone know of a store in Capetown that might carry something like that?

I'm in the same situation as LadyNCal, and this being early spring in these parts, it's been hard to find anything suitable for the cold nights and mornings in Namibia and Botswana in May/June.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Hello,

A lot of people have mentioned 'cold' weather, but no numbers -- one person's cold is another person's comfortable (the same goes for hot weather, of course). So I thought I'd provide a bit more data.

In Botswana, average daytime highs are in the 80s (May) and mid-70s (June). That may be cold to people from Hawaii (or thin-blooded folks from LA) but for most people that's pretty warm.

Nightly lows don't usually get colder than mid-50s F in May, and high-40s in early June. The only exception is the deserts, where you can get occasional cold snaps which drop to just above freezing. However, those are not likely to occur until late June/early July.

Late June can be colder, dropping to low 40s overnight.

These figures are for northern Botswana -- remember that temperatures are less extreme in the Delta due to the moderating effect of the water. They will be more extreme in the Kalahari (I'm packing an extra jumper for Jack's).

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
bat

Thanks Julian, that is helpful.
ALadyNCal--good advice.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Julian. Yes, I was gearing for moderate days and to be warm enough for the 40's after dark or early morning. Good to know my estimates were in the right ballpark