Travel Africa Mag's Top 50 African moments

Jun 9th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Travel Africa Mag's Top 50 African moments

Travel Africa have got a Africa Top 50 moments in their current issue ? it?s not that complete a list and it looks as though they?ve compiled it by asking a small group of ?experts? what their top experiences in Africa have been/ would be. I?ve added words in brackets. I've not put the full text because a) it's too much to type and b) I want to encourage people to buy this magazine - I now subsribe and really enjoy it. I expect the article will appear on their website in due course. See www.travelafricamag.com to access their archive.

50. Marvel at Leptis Magna (ruins in Libya)
49. Spot a rare shoebill (Uganda?s Lake Albert)
48. Take a bush bucket shower
47. Eyeball a Great White (Cape Town)
46. Watch dawn break from Mt Sinai
45. Taste chardonnays in the Cape winelands
44. Pony trek in Lesotho
43. Wonder at San rock art
42. Stroll around a Moroccan souk
41. Explore the Fish River Canyon (Namibia)
40. Take a trip to Timbuktu
39. Dive the reefs of the Red Sea
38. Stand in awe of Ramses II
37. Take tea with the Berbers (Morocco)
36. Witness the desert in flower (Namaqualand)
35. Meet Africa?s ocean giants (whale sharks, mantra rays and humpback whales ? Mozambique)
34. Visit the ruins of Great Zimbabwe
33. Play a part in conservation (in this case, crocodile conservation in Okavango Delta)
32. Get lost in Stone Town (Zanzibar)
31. Relive history on the battlefields (KwaZulu Natal)
30. Feel the rythms of Soweto
29.Hear the song of the Indri (Andasibe National Park, Madagascar)
28. Stand on top of Table Mountain
27. Spend the night in a local village (in this case, Zambia?s Kawaza village)
26. See Djenne Mosque (Mali)
25. Island hop through the Seychelles
24. Lose count of Kenya?s flamingos (Lake Bogoria)
23. Hear morning mass in Lalibela (Ethiopia)
22. Raft the rapids on the Zambezi (near Victoria Falls)
21. Stake out a waterhole (unspecified)
20. Take a helicopter flight into the Rift (Mukutan Gorge & Suguta Valley, Kenya)
19. Ride on the back of an elephant
18. Forage with Bushmen (Kalahari, Botswana)
17. Take a classic mobile safari
16. Relax on a felucca down the Nile
15. Glide in a mokoro through the Delta (Botswana)
14. Fly low over the Skeleton Coast
13. Hear the call of a chimpanzee (Mahale Mountains, Tanzania)
12. Spot a leopard at night (in this case, Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
11. Climb the world?s tallest dunes (Sossusvlei, Namibia)
10. Watch the sun rise over the pyramids
9. Experience Ngorongoro
8. Canoe down the Zambezi (Zambia)
7. Star gaze in the Kalahari (Botswana)
6. Take a ferry to Robben Island (South Africa)
5. Take a walk on the wild side (any walking safari, mentioned is one in Matusadona, Zimbabwe)
4. Stand on the roof of Africa (Mt Kilimanjaro)
3. Feel the earth move at Victoria Falls
2. Make eye contact with a gorilla
1. Experience the great migration
Jun 9th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

My experiences:

48. Take a bush bucket shower
--- I?ve not yet taken a bucket shower - though Jack?s Camp, which we are visiting in 2004, has this type of shower - but I have enjoyed outdoor showers at a few Wilderness Safari camps. A thrilling experience.

42. Stroll around a Moroccan souk
--- The first trip I did solo aged about 18 or 19 was to Morocco ? I say solo but I did travel with a tour group. But not with anyone I knew. I absolutely loved the souks - if you?ve visited the ones in Istanbul and enjoyed them you?ll also love Moroccan ones.

27. Spend the night in a local village (in this case, Zambia?s Kawaza village)
--- We?re not doing this in any authentic sense ? but I am looking forward to our night in Gudigwa camp, a new Wilderness Safaris property which is owned and run by local San people and aims to share the culture with visitors from around the world.

22. Raft the rapids on the Zambezi (near Victoria Falls)
--- Having seen the terrifying footage of my little sis doing this, I can confirm that I won?t be doing this myself anytime soon!

19. Ride on the back of an elephant
--- Have done this in India and in Far East but not in Africa

18. Forage with Bushmen (Kalahari, Botswana)
--- See 27.

15. Glide in a mokoro through the Delta (Botswana)
--- An incredibly peaceful experience and one that gives a completely different perspective on the Delta to the regular game drives. I think this is one of the most incredible experiences in Africa.

14. Fly low over the Skeleton Coast
--- A beautiful view certainly. We were lucky when we transferred by Cessna from Sossusvlei to Damaraland our pilot made it into a scenic adventure and took us over the wreck of the Edward Bolen (?), the old diamond mines, the salt pans, the seal colonies and the flamingos. Beautiful.

--- We were lucky to spend a lot of time with leopards during our Mombo game drives, though these were in the daytime. I?d like to also do some night drives on our next trip.

11. Climb the world?s tallest dunes (Sossusvlei, Namibia)
--- A beautiful place and very photogenic. We didn?t climb the dunes, not more than a few feet, nor did we watch the sunrise there, though I?d love to do that.

9. Experience Ngorongoro
--- Though the trip my family took when I was a teenager did include the crater, I was so ill that day that my mum and I missed it and my dad and sister went ahead. I understand it was a beautiful experience.

7. Star gaze in the Kalahari (Botswana)
--- We star gazed in awe when in Namibia?s NamibRand Nature Reserve and look forward to doing more of this when we return and also at Jack?s Camp in the Kalahari.

5. Take a walk on the wild side (any walking safari, mentioned is one in Matusadona, Zimbabwe)
--- I am determined to do some walking during our next trip though due to arthritis and other problems with hips and knees I doubt I?ll be able to do long ones. On our last trip we did a brief (one hour) walk to get closer to desert elephants in Damaraland ? we could see a group in the distance and wanted to move up the hill to be able to get a better view, though we would still have needed our binoculars. Suddenly we came around some trees only to suddenly encounter an immense bull grazing serenely. He was much much closer than the ones we?d spotted and it was incredibly exciting and slightly unnerving. We watched quietly for some time before backing away quietly. It was exhilarating doing this on foot.

4. Stand on the roof of Africa (Mt Kilimanjaro)
--- I stood at the foot and admired the view but have no intention to climb it. I still remember the excitement we felt at staying overnight in a camp with that amazing view.

1. Experience the great migration

What would you ADD to the list?

I?d really love tobr />
A. Take a balloon ride over some of East Africa?s open savannah.
B. Visit some of the less crowded areas of Tanzana and Kenya (the ones that the larger tour operators tend not to use and which therefore offer a more remote experience)
C. Visit several of the places mentioned in the Top 50 above, including Madagascar, Zanzibar, Egypt, Zambia, Vic Falls, the mosque in Mali and the church in Ethiopia.
D. Take at least a month if not 6 weeks to visit various areas of South Africa.

There are lots more.

Anyway ? remember that this about the top 50 experiences or moments as
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:22 PM

OK, I'm also curious how I did, and will do after my trip to Uganda and Rwanda in August.

49. Spot a rare shoebill (Uganda's Lake Albert) -- hope to see some in Queen Elizabeth National Park

48. Take a bush bucket shower -- plenty of outdoor showers, the best being at Savuti Camp (Wilderness Safaris) in Botswana

47. Eyeball a Great White (Cape Town) -- did this twice from Gansbaai, about 1-1/2 hours east of Cape Town

42. Stroll around a Moroccan souk -- only in Tangier, but its still Morocco

39. Dive the reefs of the Red Sea -- yes, but did this from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

38. Stand in awe of Ramses II -- visited Valley of Kings and Queens and Luxor and Karnak Temples

35. Meet Africa's ocean giants (whale sharks, mantra rays and humpback whales) -- went whale watching from Hermanus, South Africa

30. Feel the rythms of Soweto -- visited Soweto, including spending time in Wandies

28. Stand on top of Table Mountain

24. Lose count of Kenya's flamingos (Lake Bogoria) -- saw big flock in Ngorongoro Crater

21. Stake out a waterhole (unspecified)

17. Take a classic mobile safari

16. Relax on a felucca down the Nile

11. Climb the world's tallest dunes (Sossusvlei, Namibia)

10. Watch the sun rise over the pyramids

9. Experience Ngorongoro

7. Star gaze in the Kalahari (Botswana) -- saw same stars from Namib-Naukluft

6. Take a ferry to Robben Island (South Africa)

5. Take a walk on the wild side

3. Feel the earth move at Victoria Falls

2. Make eye contact with a gorilla -- hope to in Bwindi (Uganda) and Parc Nacional Volcanos (Rwanda) this August

1. Experience the great migration -- Masai Mara in August 1999

So 23
Jun 13th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow Michael - good list!

And great to hear about Savuti Camp where we'll be staying in 2004 - I was worried about the outdoor bathroom at first because I sometimes need to use it at night but after reassurance we went for outdoor not indoor there!

What would you add that you've done or would like to do but isn't on the list?

Kavey
Jun 13th, 2003, 08:31 AM

A few that come to mind....

Hold hands with the one you love at the Sunnyside Park restaurant in Johannesburg, while seated at the outdoor table under the great big tree

Cook your own braai at your rondavel at Addo Elephant Park

Accept the honor of the hospitality of the peoples of southern Africa

Experience the rhinos of Umfolozi-Hluhluwe

See/hear the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans crash together at Cape Point

(Gosh, I've only been home 3 weeks, and I'm Africa-sick already!)
Jun 13th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Kavey -- Savuti is a great, very small (5 rooms) camp, overlooking a very active waterhole. I've been on safari many times, and Savuti afforded me my only aardwolf, caracal and wild cat sightings, and I saw two kills, albeit very small ones -- I saw a martial eagle take a guinea fowl, and a serval catch a small rodent. Also, we followed a wild dog as he chased a jackal into its den, and while we heard the scuffle, we didn't stay long enough to see the victor emerge.

To the list I'd add the following things I've done:

1. Coastal Forts, Ghana (used as slave depots)
2. Ganvie stilted village in Benin
3. Fetish markets in Lome, Togo and Cotonou, Benin
4. Carnivore Restaurant (Nairobi)
5. Lake Malawi -- snorkel with cichlids
6. Zambia -- South Luangwa National Park's huge pods of hippos and crocs
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Michael
Yeah that's why we chose Savuti - we like the smaller camps best...
Can't wait and your report makes me even keener!

What is a fetish market?

Celia I want to see rhinos too - hopefully next year!

Selwyn I've just been rereading about that very point!
Jun 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Fetish market, which can be found in many West African cities, sell potions, animal bits and pieces (skulls, skins, fangs, quills, etc.) that are used for medicinal purposes, and also to cast spells and for voodoo. Some great photo opportunities, but also a bit disturbing since many dead endangered species.
Jun 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Aah. I saw a lot of those in South America, I recall...
Thanks for the clarification - I was starting to imagine you in black rubber and handcuffs! ;P
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:52 AM
sandi

Kavey - My Experiences

47. Eyeball Great Whites - We did this first dy in CPT, rather "he" did this and sure enough close enough to be eye-to-eye - got great photos underwater. I great shots when shark breached to grab bag of "chum" we were trailing behind boat - those teeth are amazing.

48. Watch Dawn Break of Mt. Sinai - hey it's too cold, better to get to top for sunset (still warm) and easy enough to make the trip down before it really gets dark.

45. Taste Chardonnays in the Cape Winelands. - Yes.

42. Stroll aroud a Moroccan Souk - Well did those in Turkey, Egypt and the Old City in Jerusalem. Still have to get to Morocco.

40. Take trip to Timbuktu - On my "to do" list.

39. Dive Reefs of Red Sea - I'm not the diver in our group, but others did from Eilat in Israel.

38. Stand in Awe of Ramses II - but where? He's all over Egypt. Saw is mummy at Mummy Room at Cairo Museum, statues in Luxor and Karnak, but the best was his Temples at Abu Simbel.
The best was the temple he built for his favorite wife Nefretari in the Valley of the Kings. After long restoration by the Getty Museum and Egyptian Govt, looks as beauiful today at when first carved and painted.

36. Witness the Desert in Flower (Namaqualad) - not exactly, but did see the Desert in Flower in Nevada.

28. Stand atop Table Mountain - Yes!

25. Island Hop in the Seychelles - these islands are Paradise.

24. Loose Count of Kenya's Flamingos (Lake Bogoria) and Lake Nakuru - seems like millions and millions. Lost my sneakers in the mud (the thickest that just pulls you down) around the lake trying to get close enough to get great photos.

21. Stake out a Waterhole - found one late at nite in Kenya, just parked our vehicle and waited and watched. Saw ellees and rhino - rhino had to leave. It was "ellee-time".

19. Ride on Back of Elephant - did so in Thailand. Friends did so at Abu's Camp in Botswana - they preferred the Land Rover, you could actually see more.

16. Relax on a Felucca Down the Nile - this is so peaceful, but not much fun when there is so wind, let along even a breeze. Saw many feluccas stopped dead without wind.

10. Watch the Sun Rise Over the Pyramids - Not only the sunrise, but sunset and a performance of AIDA at the foot of the Pyamids in the evening. Remarkable experience, with carpets covering the desert floor so women wouldn't get sand in their "evening sandles"

9. Experience the Ngorogoro - Interesting, but we were rather disappointed. Not as many animals as we expected; besides hot and very very dusty.

7. Star Gaze in the Kalahari - well, not quite the same, but did gaze at the Southern Cross in the desert outside Alice Springs (Australia) - it seemed you could just reach up and grab them. Could even see all the satelite moving around the earth.
Though one night returning to tent at Sekenani in the Mara, we stopped crossing a rop bridge and simply looked up and stayed for an hour marveling at the sky.

5. Take a Walk on the Wild Side - anyplace in Africa is exciting; ours were in Amboselli and in the Mara in Kenya.

4. Stand on the Roof of Africa (Mt. Kilimanjaro) - I'm not good with heights, but could see the white cap-tops from our tent at Tortillis in Amboselli.

3. Feel the Earth Move at Victoria Falls - I've felt the earth move often - Victoria Falls, was just another one, different, but "it moved"

1. Experience the Great Migration - A fluke, but we experienced a "reverse Migration" when there were fires in Seregetti causing the herds to return to the Mara. Just so many zebra and wildebeast and we drove through the herds slowly, could actually reach out and touch them.

Still to Do - Lots more, when we return.

Jun 16th, 2003, 08:11 AM

Selwyn, I KNEW that, but forgot, so strong is the perception that Cape Point is the most southern point. Anyway, I did like standing there and pretending!
Jun 17th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Topping for Michael (thit-cho)
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Topping -- I came across this while doing a search, and I had fun re-reading this list which I hadn't read in almost a year. Still interesting. I never did see the shoebill storks in Uganda!
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Rocco's Worst 5 African Moments

1. Coming home!
2. Atrophy of the brain and entire body from 30+ hours of flights and transfers home (if you live on the west coast of the USA).
3. Not being able to return for at least a year, unless your name is Kavey!
4. Getting to the airport and finding that half of your duty taxes are ineligible.
5. Receiving mysterious charges on your credit card for months after you have returned, and not remembering if they are legitimate charges or not.
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

LOL
That IS helping mitigate agaist the post-Africa blues this time but you know I had to wait 3 years before THIS trip so...

Search this Thread