travel advice

Feb 6th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

travel advice

Hi. A friend and I are planning a two week trip to South Africa at the beginning of April. We would like some advice about how to get from J'burg to CC Africa's Bongani Game Reserve (bordering Kruger). We got quotes for air transfer (R/T) @ 449 USD pp, and bus transfer (R/T) 329 USD pp, which seemed a little high to us. Would you consider it safe for two females to rent a car and drive the 4 1/2 hrs? Do you have any other recommendations? We are heading to Capetown after the safari, so we are open to flying from near the safari to Capetown or heading back to J'burg and then on to Capetown.

We so appreciate any suggestions you can give us. This is our first trip to South Africa. The information and feedback provided on this website seems so knowledgeable and helpful, that we wanted to get advice from the experts!

Liz
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM

SAA (South African Airways) today provided me withthe following quote: Full ecomony - Skukuza (inside Kruger National Park) to Jo'burg one way R1,061 pp all inclusive. That is US$127 at today's rate. It's the same going the other way! They do have specials for people booking early. Who quoted you those horrid prices? I would suggest you call SAA and get rates from them. On the off chance you did and got some terribly misinformed person, call them again. For that kind of money I would expect to have my tickets written out in gold filigree!
As for your itinerary, you might want to also plan on a day or two in the wine district - you have enough time by the looks of it though that depends on how long you plan to stay at the game reserve and the wine district is fairly close to Cape Town.
Hope that helps! When prices look too outrageous to you, it probably means they are outrageous.

Karen aka golfer
Feb 7th, 2003, 12:04 PM

I agree with Karen/golfer) that these rates seem high. It is always better to double check directly with SAA. Are the busrates/transfers also from Bongani themselves or is that a travel agent quote.
If it was me, I would not be too keen on doing the drive with one other female.

See if you can explore other options for air pricing than what you are getting now.

Let us know what happens.

Search this Thread