Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Transporting Insect Repellent (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/transporting-insect-repellent-530327/)

jandj May 19th, 2005 01:59 PM

Transporting Insect Repellent

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to take some aerosol DEET insect repellent to Tanzania next week. In the past, I have carried this in my carry-on luggage. I am not sure about security regulations now. Should it be inside the luggage that I check? Is that safe? Thank you so much.

sandi May 19th, 2005 02:20 PM

There is no prohibition in taking this on the plane in carryon or checked luggage. Personally, my repellent (and most liquids) come with me in my carryon.

Where will you be in Tanzania. I leave next Thursday, with 3-days in the Western Serengeti, staying at Kirawira; then to Zanzibar, 3-days; then into Kenya for 9-days.

jandj May 19th, 2005 03:36 PM

Hi Sandi,
We're doing birding/wildlife with our own guide. We spend 2 nights in Arusha, 3 nights in Tarangire, 2 nights at Gibbs Farm, 2 nights at Spekebay Lodge (Lake Victoria), 1 night at Serengeti Sopa Lodge, 1 night at Seronera Wildlife Lodge, and 2 nights at Eunoto Retreat (Lake Manyara). We leave on May 30 and are very, very excited. Have a fabulous, safe trip and thank you for your speedy response. It's getting close enough for last minute panic so set in. I would love to know where you're going in Kenya. Thanks again. Judy

Tahimi May 19th, 2005 06:48 PM

Read the inside of your airline ticket folder and you will see a list of banned items. Hand luggage security ex Canada confiscate ANY aerosol containers. Look on the can and it probably has the symbol for explosive. I suggest a non-aerosol bottle.
If not listed inside your folder use your airline's web site and go under baggage restrictions. If not on the list then print up the page and show security if they try and confiscate it.

sandi May 20th, 2005 04:43 AM

jandj - Judy

Come to think of it, after reading Tahimi's post - I believe all aerosoles are prohibited, even hairspray and deodorant. You're best with "pump" bottles/containers.

As to Kenya, we'll be in Nairobi for 1-1/2 days, meeting with friends, then heading to the highlands in Laikipia. Staying 1-nt at Sabuk, 2-nts at Loisaba Koija "starbeds". Then to the Mara with 2-nts at Cottars Camp, 1-nt at Mara Bush Camp and 1-nt at Saruni.

I'll post a report on my return.
Happy and safe travels.

Jed May 20th, 2005 07:18 AM

Aerosol containers are explosive and are banned in check-in luggage. When we take aerosols, we carry them. You may be able to sneak them into your checked luggage, but you may have more than a red face if one explodes in the cargo hold.

For insect repellent, we take Ultrathon cream made by 3M, which was rated by Consumer Reports as being the most effective.

pdxatty May 20th, 2005 01:53 PM

A limited number of aerosols are allowed to be checked. The federal aviation website at faa.gov lists the permitted aerosols such as hair spray and shaving cream. You can also check a can of pepper spray. It permits some hazardous aerosols which are "toiletries". However, aerosol insecticides are banned from checked luggage. I do not know whether this ban applies to an insecticide which is meant for application to your skin as opposed to a can of Raid which is the pictured example offered on the website.

pdxatty May 20th, 2005 01:57 PM

My reference to the faa does not of course apply to international carriers which may have stricter rules although the U.S. has some of the strictest.

jandj May 20th, 2005 02:05 PM

Thank you all for the help. We have now stowed away our aerosol cans of DEET and have purchased a supply of lotions and creams. That's one less thing to worry about! Tanzania here we come.

Scout52 May 21st, 2005 05:15 AM

Now just remember to double Zip Lock Bag lotions and creams! Take it from me, even the tightest looking container can open up and apply a generous coating of DEET to everything else you own.

kerikeri May 21st, 2005 07:32 AM

not only were my aerosols confiscated (in australia at uluru a huge tourist attraction) the fact that i HAD them at all led me to be the "suspect" and i was extensively questioned, searched and had all my bags undone even though i willingly gave up the aerosol can the second i was asked.

not worth the hassle. deet comes in pump bottles.

kerikeri May 21st, 2005 07:34 AM

p.s.

and this was on the way OUT of uluru, not in...

Thyra May 23rd, 2005 10:13 AM

We went to an army surplus store to get Deet in a little bottle.. no problems carrying this on to our plane and we went to Kenya not too long after 9/11.

Kavey May 23rd, 2005 12:06 PM

We found the pump action bottles easiest to use (having used creams in the past). As they are basic pump action and not pressurised aerosols there is no problem checking these into the hold...

dreaming May 23rd, 2005 12:20 PM

There are also DEET wipes, instead of the spray or cream. I found these to be really easy to transport and apply. Got mine from Target, but have seen them elsewhere too.