Tanzanian Visas

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Randy

Tanzanian Visas

Hello Travelers, <BR> <BR>Does anyone know if it is possible to get a Tanzanian visa on the border? If so, can it be done on a Sunday and how much of a headache is it? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Adair

Randy, why did you wait? You really may not be able to get a visa on a Sunday. I know you can get one at the border but be prepared to wait and pay. The cost will be at least $60 US dollars. I really can't say about the Sunday part.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Randy

Thanks for the info Adair. I actually have my visa, but a friend needs one. In any case, I guess we will see. Any other advice on traveling in the region?

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Al

Crossing at Namanga, we were treated to a big-time hassle. A fat official tried to shake us down for extra money, showed us his revolver, and made a big joke of our terror. "Just joking," he laughed. We were told to keep silent by our guide and play that we did not understand what this gangster was up to.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:00 AM
mm

I got my visa at the Tanzanian Mission to the UN in New York City. I opted to drop off my application, passport, a check and the prepaid express mail envelope (you have to provide the postage paid envelope). I got my passport back in about a week. But you can request for an application and do everything by mail. It's just that you have to provide your own prepaid envelopes as the Tanzanian government offices do not have the budget for this. <BR>Tanzania also has an embassy in Washington but I'm not sure where else they may offices.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:49 AM
randy

Thanks for the info.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Bert

I had mine issued by the Tanzania Embassy in Washington D.C. You can pay a small fee to expedite the process. I sent my passport, application & the fee to them by Fedex on a Friday, and by the next Tuesday I had it back in Houston. Left for TZ on Thursday (whew...) Would not have liked to arrive there without one.