Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Transit information at JNB, south africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/transit-information-at-jnb-south-africa-943320/)

TigerPhotog Jul 18th, 2012 07:26 AM

Transit information at JNB, south africa

Hi folks,

Need some help. I have a US passport and I will be flying from JFK to JNB and have a connecting flight (with a tight connection tie of 1 hour) to WDH.

I a wondering if anyone can give me some info regarding transit between Terminal A and B at JNB. I read that they are connected..... Is it doable within a few mins (walk) ? Will I be able to get from TA to TB any faster than walking ? Since I am a transit customer, do I have to go through customs/immigration at jnb ?...or can I pick up my stuff and get an internal transfer to TB ?

Anyone who has done this route of jfk-jnb-wdh, please respond....need help.

Thanks a lot in advance !!

janev Jul 18th, 2012 12:19 PM

We have only flown Heathrow to JNB & have no transit experience, but see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1009900.html where they discuss transit times. Hope that helps - an hour is tight but seems possible from what they say.

sandi Jul 18th, 2012 12:32 PM

Haven't been thru JNB in years, but even then on arrival, having to go thru Immigration, collecting bags and onto domestic terminal for flight to CPT was less than 1/hr and we walked.

So assumption, as an 'in-transit' pax, no need for Immigration, rather collect bags and onto Terminal B. But can't say whether there is an option other than walking... maybe someone else will pop in. Some airlines do mark bags that have a tight connection with a tag as "Fast/Quick Transfer" and thus the first off the plane and onto carousel... fingers crossed your air carrier does likewise.

How long/short is your connection time? Is there another flight if you miss this one? (Ugh!)... hope so.

Enjoy your safari and do post on your return.

safarilover Jul 19th, 2012 10:16 AM

JFK should be able to check your bags through to Windhoek and maybe even give you your JNB-WDK boarding pass. If so, then you will be an in-transit passenger and will not have to go through immigration.

If you must collect bags, then I think will you have to go through immigration, as that is the only path to baggage claim.

I personally would not feel comfortable with a connection that is that short. It doesn't leave any leeway if your JFK-JNB flight arrives late.

wildlifepainter Jul 19th, 2012 01:46 PM

I haven't done it yet, but in Oct I'm doing a SFO to JFK to JNB to WDH and my connection time is 1 hr 15 min. I booked it with SAA directly so I assume they know best. I've been on the JFK to JNB leg a couple of times in the last few years and we were on time. With that long of flight they can make up some time if there are delays.

I'm not sure why we would be leaving JNB out of the Domestic terminal but it does say that on my ticket also. When are you leaving?

sdb2 Jul 19th, 2012 01:59 PM

I did JFK-JNB-WDH in 2009, which was before the World Cup and the changes to JNB. At that time, I arrived at JNB's int'l terminal and transited back into the departure area of the int'l terminal (no Immigrations, no re-checking luggage) for the onward flight to WDH. WLP, I agree and don't understand why a flight to Namibia would leave from the domestic terminal.

sandi Jul 19th, 2012 02:32 PM

Ooops, oversight on my part - it should be Intl/Intl and not the domestic terminal. And, as above... bags should be thru tagged and unlikely you'll even have to touch them before arriving WDH. And though on arrival many airports it would seem one has to go thru Immigration, often for the 'in-transit' paxs, it's a separate queue that bypasses Immigration.

Guess I read too quickly and wasn't thinking this thru... sorry! Thanks for others jumping in to clear my fogged brain! :)

Again, how long is your transfer?

lisa Jul 19th, 2012 04:55 PM

I know it's odd, but when we flew from JNB to WDH last year, it left from the domestic terminal even though it was an international flight. We asked numerous people why and they all said that was just the way it is and that it was because it was an SAA flight. Don't know if it's different now.

safarilover Jul 20th, 2012 10:19 AM

I believe the JNB terminals are renamed Terminal A and Terminal B. All SAA flights domestic and international leave from the same terminal--not sure if it is A or B. And all other airlines leave from the other terminal.

TigerPhotog Jul 23rd, 2012 10:27 AM

Thank you, all, for the prompt replies. I will be flying from SFO-->JFK-->JNB-->WDH at the end of August.

I did call SAA in the USA and got my flight from JNB to WDH changed to a later time in the day (3+ hours transit now, as a result). I think that's better than missing the flight with a tight connection time.

Appreciate all the help/input. I hope my baggage does gets checked in through to WDH.

wildlifepainter Jul 23rd, 2012 02:14 PM

Since I'm doing the same route in October, did SAA think you needed the added time? My flight arrives in JNB at 8:15am at Terminal A and departs from Terminal B at 9:30am.

Also, were you able to get seat assignments for the SFO to JFK leg and return? Those legs are on United and Jet Blue and the SAA website says unavailable for seat assignments.

safarilover Jul 24th, 2012 03:12 AM

Even if your plane lands on time at 8:15, it can be several minutes before you are at the gate and actually deplaning. Also, if your next flight leaves at 9:30, they will start boarding before 9. It doesn't leave you much time considering that Johannesburg is a huge airport.

TigerPhotog Jul 24th, 2012 10:13 AM

Wildlifepainter, Yes, the SAA lady agreed that 1 hr is too close (in case my arriving flight into jnb is delayed)....
And,yes, I have confirmed seat numbers on jetblue ((via saa site)...will need to check jetblue's site to re-confirm.....

Agree with safarilover...arrival time and actual deplaning time can make a big difference...

Gardyloo Jul 24th, 2012 09:31 PM

Flyertalk's Guide to connecting at JNB: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...cting-jnb.html

TigerPhotog Sep 13th, 2012 01:59 PM

So, I came back. I did have to switch terminals in JNB but it was all internal, no need to get out of the airport, walked straight to a small checkpoint at "International transit" where they stamp your US passport for transit. My luggage was checked through to WDH. If your flight from NYC arrives on time around 8am, then the transit can easily be done and one can easily get on the next 930am flight to WDH from the other terminal...it is a 15 min walk/transit, imo. But, I just waited for the 1:30pm flight in this trip...