transfers v. cab rides??

Mar 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

transfers v. cab rides??

I've booked a safari in Botswana and plan to spend a few days in Cape Town afterwards. The company with which I've booked the safari (medium price range) has quoted me a rate of $440.00 for three transfers from airport to hotel to another local city hotel to airport (over the course of five days). I told the woman (who is South African) that it was too much money and that I'd just catch a cab after my flight arrives. She said she'd never do that. Am I missing anything? I've landed late at night in Cairo and other cities and never gave a second thought to hailing a cab at the airport. And paid much less. Any comments or suggestions on this?
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:55 AM

123 Susie

Be aware that whoever is quoting you is ripping you off. I am going to assume that you are two people when I say that a shuttle from the airport to the city will cost you about R170 ($32). Taxis will cost more of less the same and if you wanted to you certainly could use this form of transport however a shuttle is more convenient as you will find your driver is waiting for you at the airport and you wont have to go hunting for a taxi, thus saving time.
Be careful out there because it looks like to you are dealing with a CG (Commission Grabber)

If you need any further advice just ask.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Mar 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn, thanks for your reply. I'll be travelling alone. Are you saying I can just grab a taxi? Is it simple to grab a shuttle? Thanks. Also, if you're South African do you know anything about La Splendida, Breakwater Lodge or Boulders Beach Lodge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread