Transfers from/to Airports in Nairobi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides KENATCO is there a reliable company in Nairobi which does pick ups at the Airport and transfers guests to/from Wilson - Hotels - Intl. Airport?

Can you recommend a company for over-land transfers - not a safari, just transfers?

Thank you for your advise!

SV
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Hi , I am sure Spirit of Africa Safaris does transfer to and from the airport they have a fleet of vehicles for transfers only..emaial: [email protected]
Some vehicles are at the airport.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Excellent nugu! Thank you for your advise!

SV
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM

You could check with Kennedy Muthoka at Waymark Safaris. Several of us have used him for Nairobi tours, but I'm sure he could just do your transfers, as well. Contact him at [email protected] or [email protected]. Use both, as he sometimes has problems getting e-mails.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

THX a lot ShayTay!

I'll definitely contact him as well...

SV
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM

sv - I posted a similar question on TA (after receiving a quote of $115 per airport transfer - yikes!) - have received a recommendation for a taxi company and awaiting contact info for a driver who TA posters have used and been very happy with. Consensus seems to be about $30 for common airport to hotel transfers (in our case NBO to the Holiday Inn; and then Holiday Inn to Wilson)

The company is Jatco and will post the driver contact when I have it.

Liz
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Excellent Elizabeth! Thank you! That would be nice to have.

In the earlier days we were happy with KENATCO who did the transfers from NBO to the Norfolk for 1600KES/approx 20US$. But their driver of which I have the cellphone # as well email address doesn't answer. KENATCO themselves have a very lousy response. That made me feel to look for a "reliable" comp.

I am checking in regarding the driver contact occasionally.

SV
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

http://www.jatcotaxis.com

SV
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM

We used Karen Cabs for various trips and found them to be reliable and cheap. Don't know about airport transfers but I imagine they do these too.
Their landline is 2734322 (you will need to add international codes). The names I have written down are Catherine and John Macharia (0724 508455). They were recommended by our Nairobi travel agent which is a major agent for business travellers, rather than tourists, so I imagine that they would only recommend reliable companies.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:00 PM

My sister in law who lives in Nairobi use jimcab
http://www.jimcab.co.ke/index.htm
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

I know jimcab's get lots of good reviews but they let me down last October. I booked 4 transfers with them 4 weeks in advance by e-mail.

The first - JKIA to the Serena was fine. The second - the Serena to Wilson, they dopped us off in the wrong place at Wilson leaving us to get ourselves (and our luggage) to the Safarilink office about 1km from where we were dropped. The third - Wilson to House of Waine, I had to call from Wilson to chase as nobody was there wiating for us. They turned up 20 mintues later, got us to the centre of Karen, then the driver asked us where our house was! We explained that we wanted dropping at HoW (as booked 4 weeks earlier) and asked us where it was. In the end he tailed another taxi who showed him the way. I e-mailed while at HoW for an explanation but got no reply. I didn't take the fourth trnasfer back to JKIA with them! I know HoW is a bit out of the way but they had four weeks to find out where it was.

I went with jimcab's as they came back more quickly than KENATCO when I emailed prior to leaving the UK.

Sorry for giving SV the opposite of what he was looking for.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

To all: Thank you for your review and your advise!

africa_fan
I am grateful for your report as it makes clear that even the foremost reliable comp don't function to perfection ant any given time and it's also relying on to the driver how it comes out.

This upcoming needs for transportation is not for myself but for a friend who "does" Kenya for the very first time. Therefore I am reluctant to advise on KENATCO - and now on jimcab's as I simply cannot fiddle and interfere.
I myself would not hesitate to contact and book them - I can sort things out myself if needed. But these guys need a reliable transportation.

By now I have got a quote from A+K which says NOB-City hotels 56US$ for 2 pax and 40 for NBO-Wilson.
I know A+K from previous trips and I know they are expensive but 100% reliable - compared to taxis; the reason I take a taxi myself.

But in the end I think I might advise them to choose A+K to make sure they get transferred from A to B in time.

I got another quote which was from Sunworld Safaris. They requested 70US$ for NBO-city hotels which is outrageously expensive by Kenyan terms.

Thank you all for chiming in providing your expertise!

SV
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Would you consider for your friends to arrange through their hotel. I have often used email in advance to a concierge in foreign locations. Yes, you pay more, but at least I have found the hotel has at least a little more incentive than just the cab company to pick you up on time and otherwise provide a welcoming experience to the city. When I asked our hotel Sarova Stanley offers transfer from JKIA for 1600 KSh per person one way, not cheap, but I would expect reliable. BTW I am too cheap to pay that so I have arranged for Aircab at 1200 KSh for the two of us. I got a very courteous and prompt reply to my online reservation. From the airport I am comfortable arranging through a desk in person if necessary if Aircab doesn't show but maybe that uncertainty is not appealing to your friends.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Any quotes, yet, from Kennedy?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

ShayTay
The ken-address is bouncing back: mailbox full. Now I try the other one.

THX

SV
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

ShyTay
ispear-address as well is bouncing back: could not be delivered to the recipient; no further reason given.

Sad - Thank you for the effort to get Ken a customer an for me a transport

I understand that they have to earn by driving guests. But of course once in a while they should check their inbox;-)

May it's also our "understanding" of doing business - we Europeans are simply not on "Africa time"

Maybe next time............

Again - Thank you all for your input!

SV
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Just got an email from Kennedy,
They are having severe power rationing in Nairobi due to the drought. Kennedy often doesn't have power all day for several days in a row at his office. Some people haven't had water from the tap in over two months. Emails will sometimes bounce when there's a power outage.

Kennedy is very conscientious and will reply to your emails, but keep trying.
Kristina
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I forgot to say, you can always call Kennedy on his cell phones: +254 722 702 769 or + 254 733 362 140