transfer from mala mala to botswana?

Jan 16th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

transfer from mala mala to botswana?

i have a couple of days in jburg before i head up to botswana in late aug. 06. i am considering adding a short trip to mala mala. what are the options for travelling up to botswana afterward? do most peole return to jburg and head form there or is there another way to make it up to maun. thx in advance
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Good luck. I checked their website recently and was curious as to availability, and they are fully booked well into the future (looks like a lot of operators hold provisional bookings). I do think you need to connect at JNB to get to Botswana.
Jan 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM

The flights to Maun generally leave around 10h00, which means that will overnight in JNB as the flights out of mm only get in around that hour.

Should you be able to work an earlier flight out of mm ( you might look at other lodges with greater flexibility) you could make a later flight getting you to either Maun or up to Livingstone, where you can then access Botswana from the north. Flights are avvailable from Kasane, which is only one hour and thirty minutes drive from LVI.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Hello,

I've done this same transfer (though it was Londoz not MM) and I investigated all sorts of different options -- and found that if you want to go to Maun you are basically stuck with an overnight in Joburg because of the timing of the flights to Maun if you want to make the connection with your charter flight to the Delta/Linyanti. There is a later flight to Maun, but you would then be stuck with an overnight in Maun because you would have missed the charter connection to the camps. Personally, I would rather have an overnight in Joburg. I also opted for a later flight (around 1230) out of the Sabi Sands so I could enjoy the morning game drive and breakfast at Londoz -- if you're doing the overnight anyhow, there's no need to rush out and miss that last game drive. 10am seems a bit early.

Another option is an afternoon flight on Nationwide or SAA to Livingstone (LVI), or on BA or SAA to Vic Falls (VFA) and doing the overnight there. If you haven't been to Vic Falls, it might make a nice stopover -- though you would then need to transfer to Kasane (usually by road) to catch your charter to your camp in Botswana. If you are heading in to the Linyanti, this could actually work out quite well.

Basically, you'll end up doing an overnight somewhere -- it's just a matter of where.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread