Train from Tanzania to Zambia

Dec 9th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Train from Tanzania to Zambia

Have just found out there is a train from Tanzania to Kapiri Mposhi and I beleive I can get to Livingstone or Vic Falls from there? Have you any info on this? Thanks
Dec 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I doubt you'll get many responses on this board about taking trains in Africa. Have you tried the thorn tree forum on lonelyplanet.com?

Also, check out this website for detailed train information:
http://www.seat61.com/Zambia.htm
Dec 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Lithakia,
If you take that trip, please report about it! It looks interesting and I am just now beginning to think about Africa as a destination.
Jane
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Hi - yes, the TANZAM runs twice a week and takes 1.5 days give or take! I only went as far as Mbeya as I was on my way to Malawi, but it was a good trip.

You can theoretically take another train from KM to Lusaka but I have no idea if the connex times would suit. And even if they did - be prepared for the unexpected. I have taken this train (after getting to KM by a different route) and it was 16 hours late. It could have been the only time in a year, but it happens. Best not to be in a hurry. There are probably buses from KM to Lusaka - I seem to remember I got to the stn with little time to spare, bought the ticket and then discovered it was already 12 hours late. You win some, you lose some!

There is a train from Lusaka to Livingstone but easier to take a bus. And from Livingstone to Vic Falls shared taxi is the way to go.

Just by way of an alternative - in case it appeals - it takes much longer but has masses going for it - like the opportunity to visit chimps at Gombe Stream NP - is to take Tanzanian Railways train from Dar to Kigoma; ferry down lake Tanganyika (the MV Liemba); then you have to find your way from Mpulungu to KM.

Travelling on the Liemba is something I will never forget. I hope it still operates.

For any sort of train info it is always worth checking www.seat61.com

Happy travels.

Search this Thread